Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12R clutch
Judley

posted on 15/7/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12R clutch

Hi guys,

New to the forum although I have been viewing for a while. I bought a ZX12R powered Stuart Taylor Motorsport yesterday and half way home the clutch started to slip (only under heavy load). The car runs fine on part throttle but slips when pushed.

Does anyone know if there is any adjustment on this clutch and if so, is it straightforward? If I am unlucky, then can anyone tell me how easy a clutch change is and what upgrades (like Muzzys maybe) are recommended for this unit?

Thanks in advance

worX

posted on 15/7/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've never done a clutch on a zx12r but bike clutches are relatively easy to swap and not mega costly (IMO) either.

I would recommend you get a manual (Haynes) for the ZX12 though - it will help a lot

hth
Steve

And welcome to the forum BTW

Wadders

posted on 15/7/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
You might just need heavier clutch springs, TTS sell them amongst others. Dead easy to fit, as are clutch plates if you need them.

Al.

i]Originally posted by Judley
Hi guys,

New to the forum although I have been viewing for a while. I bought a ZX12R powered Stuart Taylor Motorsport yesterday and half way home the clutch started to slip (only under heavy load). The car runs fine on part throttle but slips when pushed.

Does anyone know if there is any adjustment on this clutch and if so, is it straightforward? If I am unlucky, then can anyone tell me how easy a clutch change is and what upgrades (like Muzzys maybe) are recommended for this unit?

Thanks in advance

imp paul

posted on 15/7/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
hi and welcome to the site as 4 clutch fit uprated springs and if need be fit gen oem plates as there the best and don't forget to soak them in oil over night before you fit them hope this helps paul
Judley

posted on 15/7/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12R clutch

Thanks for the replies fellas - that was quick! The car is already supposed to be running heavy duty springs (not sure what type though). When you say that the clutch change is a simple job, does that mean that it is done with the engine in situ?

Cheers,

George

imp paul

posted on 15/7/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
if you have room to take the clutch cover off in the car then no probs but if there's no room out it will have to come good luck
DIY Si

posted on 15/7/07 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know what it'll be like with a 12R, but with my bird, I find jacking the front of the car up a few inches helps keep all the oil inside the engine! The clutch is generally a case of whipping the cover off, undoing a big nut or two and pulling the plates out. If there are any odd plates, or different coloured ones, make sure you get them in the right place. Mine has a different inner and outer plate.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Wadders

posted on 15/7/07 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
As suggested, best to buy a manual and just follow the steps. It will also give you minimum thicknesses so you can check the plates, buy a cheap digital vernier for checking them.
The procedure really is dead simple, but you'll feel more confident with the manual as a guide.
As said if you lift the front of the car high enough you wont even have to drain the oil. I use a block and tackle when i do mine.

Good luck
Al.

thurso

posted on 25/10/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
zx12r Gear shift selector

Hi, you seem to know your way around zx12 any idea how difficult it is to get at and change the selectors? do have copy of manual but its a bit hard to follow!
cheers

Hellfire

posted on 25/10/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite easy to remove the selector forks. You first need to remove the oil pan, the oil pump drive gear, gear position switch and gear shift mechanism.

Remove the bolt and screw on the bearing holder and then pull the shift rods out, taking off the shift forks.

Phil

thurso

posted on 13/11/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
shift forks

Hi Phil, thanks for that info, it confirmed what i was looking at in manual
cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.