Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speed Cameras
chrisg

posted on 16/11/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Speed Cameras

The policeman that dealt with a recent accident I was involved in (don't ask) was a really nice guy and really into his cars, we spent an hour in the garage looking at the Roadster!

We had a discussion about policing and he was of the opinion that speed cameras are costing lives because the politicians have switched to policing by camera instead of a living breathing police officer who can spot drunk/drugged drivers, the uninsured, defective vehicles etc... Police traffic patrols have reduced by 60% over the last ten years

Police officers can also use disgression, something a camera can't.

This won't come as a surprise to you but the bottom line - as ever - is cash.

Police officers, dealing with ALL traffic offences, COST money, speed cameras, dealing only with speed, MAKE money.

Why does it seem that the only offence that is important to the politicians is speed?

Ask yourself who you'd prefer to share the road with? Someone driving 5mph over the limit or a drunk, drugged, unlicenced, uninsured driver in a death trap car?

As long as he passes that speed camera at 29.9mph he's fine and that's why more people are dying on the roads despite the massive advances in car safety.

So when someone tries to tell you that speed cameras save lives you can put them straight.

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Howlor

posted on 16/11/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Perfect description of the problem.

I drive 50K miles + per year and was always on the look out for Federale on my tail. Now though I very rarely see a proper police patrol on the motorway or main roads. But I do see alot more poorly loaded, badly driven, poorly maintained etc vehicles.

I think if they continue to take the stance that they are taking on speeding then they should be prepared to back it up with bobbies in cars to crack down on the idiots on the road, the true accident causes.

I very rarely see accidents that are truely due to speed. Mainly they are people not able to read the road in front, lorries not able to stop in time (but they are not speeding), poorly judged overtaking but once again they are not your speeders they are mr average driving average car doing average speed.

OK I'll stop.

Steve

02GF74

posted on 16/11/07 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

and that's why more people are dying on the roads despite the massive advances in car safety.

Good question but perhaps the fact that there are more road users may have a teeny bit to do with it?

And the fact that becasue cars are safer, people will take more risks, drive faster in the believe that they will be safe?

NS Dev

posted on 16/11/07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The policeman that dealt with a recent accident I was involved in (don't ask) was a really nice guy and really into his cars, we spent an hour in the garage looking at the Roadster!

We had a discussion about policing and he was of the opinion that speed cameras are costing lives because the politicians have switched to policing by camera instead of a living breathing police officer who can spot drunk/drugged drivers, the uninsured, defective vehicles etc... Police traffic patrols have reduced by 60% over the last ten years

Police officers, dealing with ALL traffic offences, COST money, speed cameras, dealing only with speed, MAKE money.

Why does it seem that the only offence that is important to the politicians is speed?

Ask yourself who you'd prefer to share the road with? Someone driving 5mph over the limit or a drunk, drugged, unlicenced, uninsured driver in a death trap car?

As long as he passes that speed camera at 29.9mph he's fine and that's why more people are dying on the roads despite the massive advances in car safety.

So when someone tries to tell you that speed cameras save lives you can put them straight.

cheers

Chris

Perfectly summarises my view as well

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Ares

posted on 16/11/07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Everyone around here seems to have forgotten what indicators are for

Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.

There's hope yet then !

ash_hammond

posted on 16/11/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
what you do is...

Take a 9" nail and mount it vertically in the middle of the steering wheel, see how fast people drive then!

- Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

ed_crouch

posted on 16/11/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I get really fed up with endless rants about speed cameras, but I thought that was very well written!

Just got to convince the older, well-off, non driving population of Chipping Arsehole and other such places that the shiny new camera thay go out and polish for the council every sunday morning is pointless.

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

chockymonster

posted on 16/11/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

And the fact that becasue cars are safer, people will take more risks, drive faster in the believe that they will be safe?

Cars are safer but so much of the thought process is being removed from driving. Modern cars have massively over assisted brakes, numb power steering and waft along, some keeping you in your current lane at a constant speed/distance from the car in front, parking automatically, keeping an eye on you making sure you are awake etc.

Kids are passing their test in cars with ABS, PAS, traction control etc and then wonder why they have accidents when the 1.0 saxo they can insure doesn't stop like the driving school car.

Ban driver aids, stop trying to do the driver's job and just let us get on with it.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carpmart

posted on 16/11/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

cheers

Chris

Good post Chris and a very eloquent summary of the issue!

H

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

robinj66

posted on 16/11/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Have alook here

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/24212-speed-kills-does.html

Danozeman

posted on 16/11/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I also think there should be a minimun speed limit. Theres loads of people driving at 50 on a dual carridgeway. If u come upon them doing 70 yoku are very quickly upon them. When u see a truck u know it should be doing 56 but when u see a car u expect it to be doing 70.

Il probably get ranted for saying this but i think if your not happy doing the speed limit of the road your obviously not comfortable driving so you shouldnt be on the road. 60 should be the minimum for cars that should be doing 70 and 50 for the 60 roads.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/11/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster

Ban driver aids, stop trying to do the driver's job and just let us get on with it.

You could also be talking about Formula 1 there Chockymonster!!

I love speed :-P

posted on 16/11/07 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
60 should be the minimum for cars that should be doing 70 and 50 for the 60 roads.

does that also include when its snowy, icy, raining or foggy? or how about a single track road which is 60 with blind corners?

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 16/11/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Boll**KS

No one's going to force me to drive at 70 if I don't feel like it. I try to drive with consideration for others but so should you.

If I'm not in a hurry, enjoying the drive going for economy or whatever, you should have consideration for me. Just because you can drive at 70, it doesn't mean you have to.

Get up earlier

billynomates

posted on 16/11/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just in case this looks like a racist comment, it isn't.
But in the area I live in there are loads of young asian drivers who take ridiculous liberties whilst driving, really winds me up. Obviously they get away with it cos there aren't any cops to spot them.

Could be worse though, they could be at home making bombs.....

Actually they're doing that as well!!!!

chrisg

posted on 16/11/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
Have alook here

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/general-cobra-discussion/24212-speed-kills-does.html

Everyone who drives a car should read the Telegraph article contained within that thread.

People are losing their life in the persuit of a stealth tax, something must be done.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

roadrunner

posted on 16/11/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
But what was the accident Chris.

[Edited on 16/11/07 by roadrunner]

Ivan

posted on 16/11/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Boll**KS

No one's going to force me to drive at 70 if I don't feel like it. I try to drive with consideration for others but so should you.

If I'm not in a hurry, enjoying the drive going for economy or whatever, you should have consideration for me. Just because you can drive at 70, it doesn't mean you have to.

Get up earlier

I think that one should try as far as possible to drive at the average speed of the traffic in the lane in which you are travelling - significantly faster or slower and you are placing yourself and others at risk, so no matter what you feel - if you don't like, or are not comfortable with, the speed of the lane you are in get out of it or choose another route. Don't try and impose your idea of the right speed on others - you will either risk an accident by your or their needless overtaking.

Another thing - I regularly do a 1200 km comute to work through a semi desert with long straights and really boring scenery and find it really hard to remain awake or to retain interest in the job of driving at 120kph (our National Speed Limit). I find that at around 150 I am wide awake and paying attention to what I'm doing.

Have also noticed that certain long straight stretches have an extremely high death toll and if you check the stats most of the deaths occur from head on collisions between the hours of 03h00 and 07h00 on dead straight sections of road and normally involve vehicles that normally travel well below the speed limit - i.e. the drivers have fallen asleep. So maybe rather than worrying about speed limits on these stretches they should be enforcing compulsory stops in the early morning - but oh no - speed fines are too lucrative and lives don't matter.

[Edited on 16/11/07 by Ivan]

roadrunner

posted on 16/11/07 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Me and the wife had a twenty minute drive to Scunthorpe this afternoon, i know, exciting is'nt it, anyway, most of the journey is a national limit, but this did'nt stop one driver doing 40, the lady behind tried to pass a couple of times, but she did'nt have the ability or the skills to overtake safely, pulling out twice onto oncoming traffic, in the end she gave up, it probably made her late to pick her kids up from school, just because some one had all day to do a twenty minute journey.

chrisg

posted on 16/11/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
But what was the accident Chris.

Er, well, in short I ran up the arse of a big lorry!

At the roundabout waiting behind the lorry.

Lorry moves off and I look at the roundabout, see a red car coming round pretty quick, wiat untill he's passed and I move off straight into the back of the lorry.

He'd seen the red car and stopped dead on the roundabout.

As I said at the time

"Bugger"

Don't think a speed camera would have been much help!

Cheers

Chris

Ivan

posted on 16/11/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've often wondered - if the authorities are serious about road deaths why not insist that all cars have full roll cages and 5 point safety harnesses and all drivers wear crash helmets - Oh - and maybe have pillows strapped to the front bumper.

Macbeast

posted on 16/11/07 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
" but she did'nt have the ability or the skills to overtake safely, pulling out twice onto oncoming traffic, in the end she gave up, it probably made her late to pick her kids up from school "

So this woman, who didn't have the skills to overtake with a 20mph margin of speed should have been driving at 60 ?

Who did Danozeman say shouldn't be on the road ?

Perhaps it was just as well she was late - her kids maybe lived that much longer.

Speed limits are maxima not targets.

[Edited on 16/11/07 by Macbeast]

Neil P

posted on 17/11/07 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
But clearly speed was a factor in your crash Chris, if you hadn't been moving then the crash would not have happened
maybe a blanket speed limit of 0mph is needed, although i think at certain times of the day, they've got that sorted too.

That would be funny if it wasn't true. My understanding of it is that speed related collisions include those where you or your speed are not to blame, for example when you run over a pedestrian who steps out in front of you or when you fall off your motorbike on a diesel spill left by an overfilled lorry fuel tank on a roundabout.

These are the sort of stats that contribute to justification of speed cameras. That just can't be right, can it?

Neil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.