Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Latest Update.
saigonij

posted on 3/2/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Latest Update.

This weekend i decided to get done the jobs i have been putting off for a while.. these included putting the last side panel on, and drilling holes in the panels for the brake lines, then filling the brake system...

So i started out by drilling the hole for the brake line. i measured 3 times, and still drilled it in the wrong place - this i put down to being tired. Still, not really noticable.

I then fitted the last side panel - which is a job i hate. Its hard to do, and when they are painted, so easy to scratch of peel paint off - which happened. never mind - im not building a show winner.

With that job done, time to fit the front suspension for the last time - which is very difficult once the panels are on! on the Velocities , the bottom rearward wishbone mount is near to the vertical chassis bar, so its very hard to get the nyloc nut in there...

after that was all done, i then pushed a grommet onto the braided brake line and fitted that to the bracket inside the car. all good...

Then i decided to fill the car with brake fluid. I hate brake fluid, it feels nasty, tastes nasty and goes everywhere - which it did!

The pressure sender for the brake lights was not in very hard, so fluid weed out from there, then the hoses from the reseviour ( cant spell ) down to the master cylinders also leaked, so more fluid lost there!

The rear calipers are hard on these cars, you cant get a solid line in, so you have to use the banjo fitting - which is fine, but the calipers are not designed to be connected that way, with no machined face - so its out with the blanking plug and angle grinder to try and make the face as flat and smooth as possible. 240 grit later and its looking pretty good.

needless to say, these leaked a bit, but a bit more jimmying with the spanner cured that.

The bleeding went without a hitch ( although i still think there is a bit left in there ) and just requires you to take the rear calipers and discs off and jiggle them as you bleed.

After that, i decided i wanted to fit my new headlamps. I brought a new set from MEV that they use on their Rocket. They are E marked, Hella headlamps, that take the usual H4 bulb and a side light.

Fitting was easy, take the wiring out of the old lamp unit, and put it in the new lamp unit - then bolt it on.

Works a treat and makes the car look very different - a bit wider and lower if thats possible!

oldlights
oldlights

newlights
newlights

newlights2
newlights2

newlights3
newlights3

the car is now ready for her first voyage up the road...... cant wait....

britishtrident

posted on 3/2/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
nice !

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/2/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
nice lights, thought you should slant them up for a evil look

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 3/2/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
nice lights, thought you should slant them up for a evil look

I agree. Im not a big fan of the "bug eye" look of round headlights.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

phil4521

posted on 6/2/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one- I had similar problem with brake fluid- took me 2 weekends and shouted at the wife for weeks
Have just ordered Esi Bleed so next time might be a bit easier

saigonij

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
i have had easi bleed for ages but never got it to work satisfactorily.

car now looks totally different...

still not found the oil leak i mentioned in another post so pulled the engine out tonight.

with the engine out, i should be able to make the brakes all nice and tight and find where the oil is coming from once and for all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.