Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bump steer
darrens

posted on 12/2/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Bump steer

Trying to iron out a bit of bump steer on the Viento, anyone got any pointers.

Cheers

fesycresy

posted on 12/2/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
The best person I spoke to regarding bump steer was Matt at Procomp.

I would u2u him.

HTH

Lyn

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

jambojeef

posted on 12/2/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Can we have some pics of your front susp so we can see what adjustments are possible?

Geoff

nitram38

posted on 12/2/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Why have you got bump steer?
Surely the chassis manufacturer should have this stuff sorted?
I have only built one car and used a book to design my car, but no bumpsteer.
I can't believe it when you actually pay for poor design from a manufacturer!

darrens

posted on 12/2/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but if you hit a big bump it will pull the wheel.

See pic for suspension setup. Have camber and caster adjustment and adjustable shocks.

Cheers Rescued attachment DSCF0502-SMALL.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0502-SMALL.JPG

nitram38

posted on 12/2/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Where your top and bottom wishbone mounts are inboard, imagine a line running between them (white line in photo).
The steering rack rod end swivel centres need to be somewhere along this line (steering rack centred and straight ahead). (these are the swivel balls under the black gaitors)
You will need to detach the ends of the rack from the uprights and raise or lower the rack until the swivels are somewhere along this line.
Hopefully your trackrod ends will still fit from this new position.

Description
Description

[Edited on 12/2/2008 by nitram38]

darrens

posted on 12/2/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
The rack is moveable in an up/down diagonal fashion, I presume the same could be achieved by moving this to arrive at the centre position.

Cheers

caber

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hang on a minute I thought bump steer was when the car changed direction as the result of a bump in the road, if you hit a pothole the steering wheel will be pulled whatever you do with the suspension!

Caber

nitram38

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
Hang on a minute I thought bump steer was when the car changed direction as the result of a bump in the road, if you hit a pothole the steering wheel will be pulled whatever you do with the suspension!

Caber

Bump steer is caused by the trackrod arms on the rack not following the the same arc as the wishbones.
In other words, as you hit a bump the wishbones move but the rack either pulls the wheels inwards or toes them outwards. This means that over bumpy roads your car will try to change direction and leave you sawing at the wheel to keep it straight.
By having the trackrod swivel ball in the same line as the top and bottom wishbone mounts, it will ensure that the trackrods move in the same arc.
Therefore no direction change and a safer car!

darrens, I don't know your car, but you might find that simply putting spacers under your rack, might get it in the correct place.
You really need to take a look square from the front of the car to decide wether it needs to go up or down.
If up, then use spacers, if down, then you need to lower the rack and re-drill the mounts.
It is hard to tell from the angle of the photo.

On my cars I saved myself the hassle by ordering a rack from titan with the distance I wanted between the swivels and by running my trackrods parrallel to my top wishbones.
Here the rack swivels centre on the top bone mounts and my uprights were made by me so that the trackrod lines up with the wishbone:

Rack Mounted
Rack Mounted

[Edited on 12/2/2008 by nitram38]

Phil.J

posted on 13/2/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at your 'photos I would suggest that it is going to be toeing out on bump?
If so you need to lower the rack or raise the track rod ends, reset the tracking and try measuring again. Small movements can make a dramatic difference to the bumpsteer.
Concentrate on getting it sorted as a sports car with bump steer will feel dreadful on the road.

darrens

posted on 14/2/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
this pic might be better

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.