Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quick budget question
chunkytfg

posted on 10/3/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Quick budget question

Has anyone been sad enopugh to put together a list of bits needed to be bought down to the last little bit to give me an idea of total price of a build?

I've seen various figures mentioned but unless they are quantified with a build spec then they mean nothing.

All i really know so far is the kit price and the engine prices(busa) but what else do i get for my money.

If noone has such a list has anyone got a comprehensive list of bit's i'll need outside of the initial kit.

Pdlewis

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
What make kit are you thinking of?

I cant give could a list but i am compiling one for my MNR build which is just starting. A figure that is banded about is arround £6k for a bec if you can pick up a few bargins but i would have thought it would be a fair amount more for a busa

eznfrank

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I was looking for something similar a month or two back but no-one seems to have one. However, as I go along I'm putting every single nut, bolt and thingy-ma-jig onto a spreadsheet so I can upset myself when I'm done.

Of course depends largely on what kit you're going for.

[Edited on 10/3/08 by eznfrank]

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
you don't want to know, ignorance is bliss especially with cars

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chunkytfg

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Looking to build a Bog standard vortx as a starting point but depending on how things go i may swap the Busa lump for a GSXR1000 lump and go for a RT with the money saved
chunkytfg

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
you don't want to know, ignorance is bliss especially with cars

I race motorcycles so know all about burying my head in the sand whilst hading over 2 grand at a time for tyres

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Write it down!!!??? are you MAD! what if SWMBO found it??!!!???!!!???!!!??!!

I'm off for a lie down at the thought of it!

graememk

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
i told mrs graememk the indy cost around £3k lol

real money and bits i've spent since finishing £6k total i think i built it for around £5

chunkytfg

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
cheers guys.

If anyone has a list and wants to keep it private then i accept emails to chunkytfg@hotmail.com

What would happen to the budget if i was chasing an age related plate?

pewe

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Right lads, listen up.
Decide on the budget (approx.) - tell SWMBO.
Then take her to Amsterdam and whilst there buy her a diamond something or other (not that expensive if you play your cards right).
In the future when she asks how much it's all cost you quote her an airy-fairy figure but add that the diamond whatever came out of your budget.
It's worked for me for the last few years!
As to actual cost - depends on how locost you want it be and how much time you are prepared to spend acquiring parts rather than ordering them from the likes of Ral Des.
£5k sounds about right.
Cheers, Pewe

[Edited on 10/3/08 by pewe]

Richard Quinn

posted on 10/3/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit that I've suffered a bit of the Magpie syndrome. Wheels, tyres and brakes (all new bits) took a big chunk and buying my donor bits off the shelf probably cost a bit over the odds. Diff, shafts etc and the front uprights are the only used bits I've got and I reckon I'm at about £7.5k now and probably got another £700 or so to finish.

[Edited on 10/3/08 by Richard Quinn]

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/3/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I have to admit that I've suffered a bit of the Magpie syndrome. Wheels, tyres and brakes (all new bits) took a big chunk and buying my donor bits off the shelf probably cost a bit over the odds. Diff, shafts etc and the front uprights are the only used bits I've got and I reckon I'm at about £7.5k now and probably got another £700 or so to finish.

Yeah it’s those evil catalogues that come through the door, do what I do BIN THEM!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 10/3/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Jeez - I got rid of most of my receipts because the number was getting so scary.

I will work it out at some point but I must be approaching £9-10K!

Richard Quinn

posted on 10/3/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

Yeah it’s those evil catalogues that come through the door, do what I do BIN THEM!
Not strictly true! There are also evil people on here that tempt me by pointing me in the direction of bargains to be had!! Did I need ally hubs? Did I need a LSD? Did I need an Oddyssey battery? Did I need a carbon fibre exhaust can?
Duhhhhh! Obviously!!!

Guinness

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunkytfg
If anyone has a list and wants to keep it private then i accept emails to chunkytfg@hotmail.com

Yeah right, like I'm going to email you a spreadsheet of what I actually spent on my car, so you can blackmail me with it! If SWIMBO found out the real cost, I'd be converting the attic, re-doing the kitchen and the bathroom this year! LOL

And probably looking for somewhere new to live!

Mike

chunkytfg

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Like i've said previously I currently race motorcycles and i rekon a year of that is still more than this ere car building lark.

And I too have not told my missus how much it all costs for fear of a horrible death by DIY

eznfrank

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Some good points here....

Do i have to consider our lasses eternity ring in my budget or even renovating my entire house before I could start which was the best part of £30k!! Looks like all considering the permission costs about three times more than the car!!!!

Gergely

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I am planning a Vortx RT inboard - with R1 though which should be somewhat cheaper - and I have made a calculation. I don't think anything much under 10k is realistic. As Chris said, you will end up getting a few shiny pieces here and there.
But I sent you a list I have received from Joao and modified a little. I also made my calculations based on this list, but obviously edited it along the way.

indykid

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
i kept a full list of everything i spent building the first indy.

i spent £6.5k

that was for a 1.6 pinto indy from a sierra that cost £100. wheels cost less than £500, gauges were about £350 and lights front and back were about £260 because i got the LED rears and decent headlights from svc.

it's since got a full cage and bike carbs so they're not included in the 6.5k

you probably can build for less, but it will be pretty basic. that...or you can not account for all the costs and come up with whatever number you want.
tom

chunkytfg

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that gergely. Much appreciated.

One of the biggest things i'm finding is the manufacturers dont tend to list bolt by bolt what is needed extra so you by a kit and think okay so i need this and this to finish it only to find you need all that plus 2 grands worth of bits and peices

Richard Quinn

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Nuts and bolts - Now there's an issue in itself! Obviously, they're not that cheap to start with but there is that annoying thing of not being able to come up with a list of every single fastener that you will need and the one that you didn't get this time around is the one that will now hold you up so you have to order it and pay the extortionate P&P for a one-off.
I reckon P&P is actually a significant amount of my budget!!

marc n

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
check out our website under modules ( also starter kits ) both list every part you get including every fixing you need ( we are in the middle of updating at the moment so not all prices etc are 100% correct )
each time you buy a part from us for instance seats ( mounting bosses bolts etc are included )

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
chunkytfg

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
check out our website under modules ( also starter kits ) both list every part you get including every fixing you need ( we are in the middle of updating at the moment so not all prices etc are 100% correct )
each time you buy a part from us for instance seats ( mounting bosses bolts etc are included )

cheers

marc

Cheers marc i had noticed the Module prices had been added.

One thing though you appear to have removed the standard Vortx kit and replaced it with the MX5 doner kit. Does this mean it's no longer available?

chunkytfg

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Nuts and bolts - Now there's an issue in itself! Obviously, they're not that cheap to start with but there is that annoying thing of not being able to come up with a list of every single fastener that you will need and the one that you didn't get this time around is the one that will now hold you up so you have to order it and pay the extortionate P&P for a one-off.
I reckon P&P is actually a significant amount of my budget!!

see now this is where i have an advantage. I actually have a shop called Watton Nuts and Bolts as my closest shop to my home. It's also terrible that it doubles up as a tool shop!!!

RazMan

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I religiously logged every single purchase in an Excel spreadsheet during my two year build and when everything was finished and registered I finally hit the 'calculate' button ......... then changed my trousers. I made the mistake of telling SWMBO too, so it doesn't look as though I will be building my next project unless I sell my present one first

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.