Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutchslip
tks

posted on 18/4/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Clutchslip

Hi guys (and girls )

I have clutch slip on my VFR 800
anyone a good advice how to upgrade the clutch???

Dunno the state of the plates but think its good...

i don't have driven it tooo hard but when i upshift (pneumaticly) from 1 to 2nd i get an autobox feeling....

is it just a question of doubleing the std springs or is there more involved...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

ed_crouch

posted on 18/4/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Get it in a high gear at the engine speed that develop max torque and flatten the throttle.

If the engine speed soars, you have clutch slip problem. If it doesnt, then the clutch is doing an acceptable job of transmitting engine torque.

If its just taking a fraction of a second to settle when youre powershifting up from 1st to 2nd: thats normal and its saving your drivetrain from excessive torsional shock.

All IMHO of course.

Ed.

P.S. I should add that bike clutches are designed to slip like hell - 1st gear on a bike is quite tall, and bike engines develop naff all torque, so you have to pull away with a good couple of thousand revs on (well, unless its a goldwing...), so the clutches routinely do quite a lot of slipping. I **think** thats why they run wet.

[Edited on 18/4/08 by ed_crouch]

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

MikeCapon

posted on 18/4/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you've done less than 100,000 miles and not abused the clutch then it should not slip. What oil have you got in it? Car oils with friction reducing additives will bu%%er bike clutches in a very short time. If this is the case:-- OIL CHANGE--NOW!!! Check adjustment. VFR clutches are bomb proof!!

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 18/4/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Change the oil and use good stuff. If that fails, you may be able to pre-load the springs with washers to help grab.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 19/4/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
barnett springs?

http://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/catalog/motorcycle-barnett-clutch-springs.php

not sure if they ship international?

bugger, its the 750 not 800...anyway, you might find some for the 800, and they do have a good reputation for helping.

[Edited on 19/4/08 by Dangle_kt]

tks

posted on 19/4/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
nahh the slipping takes to long to be normal...

it feels like a automatic(autobox) you floor the throttle, the hell brakes open...

you upschift to second... (keeping the foot down) the ignition is back on and you feel like an kickdown event has taken place on your luxery car... it slips approx 4secs....

i think that a bit more pressure will do the job, sow maybe i try the washers or i compare the 750 springs with mines...

Tks

p.d. regarding the OIL i use MOTUL semi-sintetic.. so should be good enough!!

[Edited on 19/4/08 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.