Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 Post or 4 Post ramp?
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 9/5/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
2 Post or 4 Post ramp?

My mate is getting another ramp in the garage and is considering a 2 post as we have 2 4 posts already. Is there any disadvantages/advantages in using a 2 post instead of a 4 post. It will be used mainly for general repairs and servicing. Its been a long time since i used a 2 post ramp and the biggest problem i remember is trying to find solid bits of chassis to put the arms under on Marinas,Cortinas etc.
Cheers
Ronnie

MikeRJ

posted on 9/5/08 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Most garages use 2 post ramps these days as they tend to give better access to almost everything.

The downsides are that a two poster is more work to install, and have more stringent requirements for the concrete base etc. Also unless you get an asymmetric lift, it can make opening the car doors fully impossible.

Danozeman

posted on 9/5/08 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
2 posters are much easier to work on the vehicle than a 4. I use a 2 poster at work. I never use the 4's as i find them too restrictive to work on the vehicle.. Especially for clutch jobs etc they are so much easier. Less to maintain aswell so that cost is cheaper.

Im in a BT workshop and theyv got a 5 tonne 2 poster that takes all the bit transits etc. Very handy. Just as a example the LDV maxus van is actualy designed and built to be worked on on a 2 post lift.

quote:

The downsides are that a two poster is more work to install, and have more stringent requirements for the concrete base etc.

If the 2 poster doesnt have a base frame u need a big single piece concrete pad to mount it on legally. Cant remember the size and depth. But if its got a base frame it can go pretty much anywhere as long as its solid and substantial enough to take the weight. We'v just had problem at work with our new one hence i know this. Ours has a frame on the bottom so a slight hump in the middle which is laughable as the one they took out had no frame.

[Edited on 9/5/08 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mike smith1

posted on 9/5/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
The base free type 2 posters (above gantry) require a concrete pad about 200-250mm deep, approx 4000mm x 2000mm, these are rough dims for a 3T capacity.

In most cases the ramps can be installed into floors that are existing, the only difference is that a chemical resin bolt is used apposed to a expanding anchor.

We have a selection of 2nd hand 2 posters available at the company i work for if you'd like some info u2u me

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.