Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Very basic low level warning light
tegwin

posted on 28/5/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Very basic low level warning light

I currently have an ali fuel tank, one inlet for the filler and one outlet for the fuel.

There is no fuel level sender in the tank....

What is the simlest/easiest way of fitting some form of low fuel level switch?

Its for a traack day car, so all i really need to know is..."you have 10 mins of fuel left before you have to pit"......

Only issue is, the tank has fuel in it, so I cant weld anything on.....

Is there a bolt on sender solution?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nitram38

posted on 28/5/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
You can get transducers that fix to the outside of tanks......but don't ask me how to connect/wire one!

02GF74

posted on 28/5/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I imagine non intrusive sensors would be quite costly.

If you can drll a hold and have access to the rear side to fit a nut, then this RS solid state siwtch looks like it may do the job. Looks like it is petrol/oil resistant too. £ 13 or so.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4774682

tegwin

posted on 28/5/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm....there are no transducers that will work through the tank walls....they would have to be in contact with the liquid....(Unless I use a laser or radar device to meausure fuel....which to be honest is a bit extreme!)

RS sell a range of cheap float switches.....wonder if one of those would work.....

Might just be able to get my hand through the filler hole to bolt the part inplace

Edited to say:
02GF74--that looks quite good...will have to have a closer look at the tank and see if I can get past the baffles to the bottom of the tank to fit that device.

[Edited on 28/5/08 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/5/08 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
You could maybe fit a simple sight glass to the tank but obviously you would have to check this visually. Personally i'd probably just cut a hole in the top and fit a standard sender unit to run a fuel gauge. Have to take the normal precautions with having had fuel in the tank.
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/5/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
you could run some clear plastic tubing from the tank, across the floor to the dash with vertical bit at the same level as the tank, put a coloured plastic ball inside to show the level and ta da! fuel gauge, only prob is it will only give you a correct reading when the cars not moving and you’re parked on level ground and in a crash it might spill a bit...but otherwise it's a winner.

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 28/5/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
you could run some clear plastic tubing from the tank, across the floor to the dash with vertical bit at the same level as the tank, put a coloured plastic ball inside to show the level and ta da! fuel gauge, only prob is it will only give you a correct reading when the cars not moving and you’re parked on level ground and in a crash it might spill a bit...but otherwise it's a winner.

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

I really would like to see a scrutineers face when presented with that solution.

Float switch would be my favourite.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tegwin

posted on 28/5/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sausages to that....Im just going to use an old milkbottle tied to the dashboard...that way I can keep an eye on the fuel level "real time"

Guinness

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Carry a jerry can in the footwell. Then when you run out on the track, just jump out and start filling up.

I'm sure the marshalls will wave a flag or something.

Mind you, not at Teesside they wouldn't

Mike

blakep82

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

If you can drll a hold and have access to the rear side to fit a nut, then this RS solid state siwtch looks like it may do the job. Looks like it is petrol/oil resistant too. £ 13 or so.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4774682

oooh, i like these, say 5 or 6 (maybe 6 since the price comes down a little at 6) through the side of a fuel tank, each drives an LED, 4 green, one yellow, one red, give a decent gauge i think. ok, so more expensive than float senders and stuff, but more simple to install i'd say, plus i don't like the idea of electrics in my fuel tank... i don't trust myself to not blow stuff up lol

this way all the electrics stays outside the tank, and calibration is only dependant on where you drill the holes... i like. even if it would be a long winded, round-a-bout, expensive way to do a guage. more simple to wire than working out the electronics for a LED guage with float sender i reckon though, for someone who knows nothing about electronics lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

also, by the look of things you doon't even really need access to the inside of the tank. as long as you can pull the wires out from inside, the locking nut goes on the outside. you just need to be able to tighten it up properly

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

02GF74

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
another option would be to have the tank fitted so it has some vertical movement and resting on a strain gauge or similar to measure the weight.

I am sure it is doable, but would take more than 1/2 hour.

blakep82

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
another option would be to have the tank fitted so it has some vertical movement and resting on a strain gauge or similar to measure the weight.

it would be all over the place over bumps though

tegwin

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
as you say, 3-6 of those with an LED array like this one:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2473056

Wouldnt be too hard to have the bars on the array progressivley go down with the fuel, and then when the last sensor looses the fuel, the entire bar starts flashing...

Something to play with later I think!

mike smith1

posted on 28/5/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/00b9/0900766b800b98be.pdf
I seem to remember being recommend something along the lines of this when i asked the question, i bit the bullet and actually fitted a fuel sender and gauge about a month ago, didnt take long as the wiring was already there.

Mike

MikeRJ

posted on 28/5/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Measure fuel pressure at the outlet...
martyn_16v

posted on 28/5/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a bendy filler neck or can you look straight down into the tank? If it's straight, attach a rod to the filler cap with a float switch or similar at the end dipping into the tank, kind of like a huge dipstick. You'd have to have enough slack in the harness at the cap end to be able to withdraw it out easily.

Of course, if drilling into the top of the tank isn't a problem then just fit a float-arm fuel level sender like most of us have

charlierevell

posted on 28/5/08 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Fit a bike pump and gauges with a light already in it.....

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

darrens

posted on 28/5/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
surely a float switch would on/off like a yo yo when your blasting round corners

[Edited on 28/5/08 by darrens]

02GF74

posted on 29/5/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

it would be all over the place over bumps though

fit anoher sensor to measure vertical acceleration and compensate - soon becomes unnecessarily complicated.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.