Board logo

ap/alcon brake upgrade.
antonio - 25/2/10 at 03:45 PM

bonjour
anyone here go for the AP or alcon brake upgrade for a locost? i know they are not cheap, but i have to change a caliper on my car (one is very flexible)and i 'm seriously thinking of upgrading to something that worth the hassle.
i spotted that: https://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=111&products_id=93&osCsid=37f574ce9b12cd705a572285b470aa7b
but i'm not sure the will fit my cortina styled uprights.i also spotted the alcon lug mounted, wich my be better because pistons are smaller (use 0.75 bore MC) and are designed to be used with solid disks.
pretty sure none of both would be a straight replacment for billet M16 calipers, but maybe it can be made with a custom made bracket.
hope someone here could help
merci

TimC - 25/2/10 at 04:02 PM

Hi

I had a chat with the Alcon dealer and reached the opinion that it would be a total waste of money selecting Alcon over Wilwood or Raceleda/Outlaw.

My 2 Uuuuuuro-cents

antonio - 25/2/10 at 07:11 PM

hi tim
can you tell me why you think so?i thought alcon were in AP range...

procomp - 25/2/10 at 10:49 PM

Hi

For a direct replacement Alcon setup for a Cortina upright using M16 calipers. Have a look at the Westfield race setup. This is a direct replacement kit.

Cheers Matt

antonio - 26/2/10 at 06:25 AM

thank you matt
but do they worth the change/money?
tim seems to say they are not better than the usual wil/outlaw....

TimC - 26/2/10 at 09:05 AM

You've got a bike engined MNR right?

There just isn't a need for vented discs on a car so light and that is only going to ever be stopping from 135mph maximum.

The reason why I say that its not needed is the Outlaw and Wilwood stuff is proven by the RGB racing crowd. Save your cash.

ETA - I never said that they weren't better. If I was running a 250bhp Duratec I'd take a different view!

[Edited on 26/2/10 by TimC]

procomp - 27/2/10 at 01:21 AM

Hi

There is no reason for actually needing better brakes to actually stop the car physically. Just a weight saving exercise.

The Outlaw setup are just a very nasty cheap set of calipers which are designed as disposable hence they only cost £60 Ea
The willwood are the better option on a budget as they have better features. The Alcons are the best option if wanting to spend a few more Euros.

Cheers Matt

antonio - 28/2/10 at 06:18 AM

matt and tim, merci!

TimC - 28/2/10 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
The Outlaw setup are just a very nasty cheap set of calipers which are designed as disposable hence they only cost £60 Ea

Errr, where from?

procomp - 1/3/10 at 09:47 AM

Hi

Direct from Outlaw in the states. Yep all those selling them over here are paying £60 ea ( If buying 5-10 sets ) for them and then sticking a small % on top. Sorry Very large % on top. Lol

But as said they are a disposable caliper. Hence no stainless wear shims etc you would be replacing them after a season.

Cheers Matt

TimC - 1/3/10 at 09:54 AM

I'm amazed as even Pegasus in the States, who I've used are selling at $259ea.

atomic - 5/3/10 at 06:37 PM

That is so far from the truth. Outlaw calipers are very well made for their price point and in general. Up until a few years ago they were were better spec'd than Wilwoods intended for the same use/application and with Wilwood finally only a few years ago produced a caliper of equal spec. It is true they are not the ultimately as good as AP, Alcon or PF but they are not intended for the same market point.
I have at this very moment several sets of AP CP5200/CP5555's and a 2 pair's of Alcon B-Type's under my work bench so I do know something of which I speak.

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

There is no reason for actually needing better brakes to actually stop the car physically. Just a weight saving exercise.

The willwood are the better option on a budget as they have better features. The Alcons are the best option if wanting to spend a few more Euros.

Cheers Matt

[Edited on 5/3/10 by atomic]