Board logo

Indt R: Can't assemble rear carrier thingy!!
Poorscousertommy - 9/1/12 at 02:47 PM

To the learned massive.. Another 'engineering problem' I've stumbled across during chassis assembly..

I am looking to assemble the hub carrier wossit (at least thats what I think its called ) to the rear lower wishbone, and the phrase 'square peg, round hole' springs to mind..

The carrier is 130mm across, while the distance between of the crush tubes is only 124mm.. If I make the crush tubes flush, then I only gain 1.5mm (125.5).. This seems like an excessive amount for me to 'ease in' with a rubber hammer!

See photo (if it works).. And yes, i know its upside down, photo for illustration only!

Thanks as ever folks - please tell me I am just being dim!

Mark

[Edited on 9/1/12 by Poorscousertommy]

[Edited on 9/1/12 by Poorscousertommy]

loggyboy - 9/1/12 at 03:01 PM

just copy and paste the PG code when doing pics from the album

it wont fit!!
it wont fit!!

Poorscousertommy - 9/1/12 at 03:03 PM

Cheers loggyboy, I WILL get there in the end!

mikeb - 9/1/12 at 03:06 PM

I'm going to guess this is fairly common as certainly I've had some wishbones where the spacing isn't quite right on my first build, on my second no problems.
Think they tend to pull in when cooling if removed from the jig after welding etc.
I'd take it up with the supplier but you could probably get them to fit but then I guess the joints will be stressed.
M

[Edited on 9/1/12 by mikeb]

loggyboy - 9/1/12 at 03:16 PM

Crush tubes should be near flush, only about 0.5mm (.25 eash side).
Stick one end of the the wishbone in a vice and bend it slightly.

Minicooper - 9/1/12 at 03:30 PM

I tweaked my wishbones with a scissor jack

Cheers
David

Bluemoon - 9/1/12 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
I tweaked my wishbones with a scissor jack

Cheers
David

Or in engineer speak "cold set"...

Poorscousertommy - 9/1/12 at 03:57 PM

Yep, spoke to the boys at MK, bit of gentle persuasion and jobs a good un

thanks all

Davegtst - 9/1/12 at 04:43 PM

I had exactly the same problem (seems to be another common design fault). I had to spread them by using a spring compressor to get them to fit. Trouble is if you don't spread it to the correct size the bushes in the wishbone will be hard up against the carrier and will stop the suspension working properly and possibly even cause failure over time. The crush tube should be tight against the carrier with a gap between the bush and carrier.

Bluemoon - 9/1/12 at 05:22 PM

I not sure I would call it a design fault, just weld distortion.. It would be better if MK would cold set after so it fits back in the jig after welding, or figure out a better method to weld the bones to minimise the distortion. The bottom line is the bones must not bind at all over the full range of movement once the bolted up..

If cold setting without the jig you could end up with the bones twisted if not careful..

MakeEverything - 9/1/12 at 06:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
I not sure I would call it a design fault, just weld distortion..

So it's a manufacturing fault then? If I paid 8k for a chassis set, I wouldn't expect to "cold set" anything. As above, the risks are significant, which could result in voiding warranties or your statutory rights.

loggyboy - 9/1/12 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:

So it's a manufacturing fault then? If I paid 8k for a chassis set, I wouldn't expect to "cold set" anything. As above, the risks are significant, which could result in voiding warranties or your statutory rights.

But the MK chassis set is under £4k?

MakeEverything - 12/1/12 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:

But the MK chassis set is under £4k?

Does it matter? You pay money for parts you need to modify from Ford? No.

JekRankin - 12/1/12 at 09:32 PM

If bending the wishbone is a worry, I think you'd be perfectly within your rights to send it back and ask for one which fits correctly - I did the same when I had a similar issue with a wishbone on my BGH Fury.

Design-wise, to stop this problem happening, couldn't they just weld a small length of tubing in to brace between the two outer wishbone bushes?

iank - 12/1/12 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin
If bending the wishbone is a worry, I think you'd be perfectly within your rights to send it back and ask for one which fits correctly - I did the same when I had a similar issue with a wishbone on my BGH Fury.

Design-wise, to stop this problem happening, couldn't they just weld a small length of tubing in to brace between the two outer wishbone bushes?

What, like Caterham

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=2617
http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=3247

JekRankin - 12/1/12 at 09:56 PM

That's it! The Fury rear wishbones have similar bracing, though they are not quite so elegant as the Caterham ones!

Davegtst - 12/1/12 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin

I did bring this up with MK once along with numerous other faults and was basically told to Fu*k @ff!