Board logo

What are these then and where do they go???
Poorscousertommy - 12/1/12 at 11:09 PM

The only bit of my kit that I cant figure out.....

I'm sure they are pretty important!

Description
Description

Thanks as ever

matt_gsxr - 12/1/12 at 11:14 PM

These are for hanging your rear brake calipers off.

They fit the rear non-disk-brake Sierra bearing carriers.

Poorscousertommy - 12/1/12 at 11:18 PM

I'm confused... i did figure the PCD / hole pattern fit the carrier, but as there was no recess on the carrier and I have push in driveshafts, I figured I had a drum setup.. Have I actually got a disc setup?? i.e. calipers??

I'll be mighty peed off if so as I've just shelled out waaaay over the odds for drums (I was kicking myself anyway at the price I paid)!!

[Edited on 12/1/12 by Poorscousertommy]

austin man - 12/1/12 at 11:33 PM

on the basic Indy the uprights for discs are different to the uprights for Drums

NigeEss - 13/1/12 at 12:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Poorscousertommy
I'm confused... i did figure the PCD / hole pattern fit the carrier, but as there was no recess on the carrier and I have push in driveshafts, I figured I had a drum setup.. Have I actually got a disc setup?? i.e. calipers??

I'll be mighty peed off if so as I've just shelled out waaaay over the odds for drums (I was kicking myself anyway at the price I paid)!!

[Edited on 12/1/12 by Poorscousertommy]

Sorry Bud, they are brackets to fit discs to a drum braked upright, so yep, you spent £70 on a set of drums you don't need.

ashg - 13/1/12 at 07:31 AM

if you use drums you dont use those plates. if you use discs then you use them.

mad-butcher - 13/1/12 at 08:20 AM

use the drum brakes you bought, her indoors will be even more pissed off if you spend even more money on a set of calipers and discs, we have all made mistakes when building these toys so you're certainly not alone
mine include
several 7.5" diffs
push in diff/shafts/reconned drums (shoes/cylinders/springs)
only to buy new rear uprights for discs (didn't know you could convert the drums to discs)
£150 odd quid on a smiths type speedo, only to discover the joys of an acewell, that comes complete with rev counter (at least I saved myself the cost of buying one to match the speedo )

tony

Poorscousertommy - 13/1/12 at 09:05 AM

Cheers Tony, glad its not just me

Think I will go for the drum setup for now, safe in the knowledge that a disc upgrade is a future winter project!

nick205 - 13/1/12 at 12:29 PM

Drums are also more than adequate for braking purposes too

As Tony says, I think everyone has the odd error in their purchasing plans. Mine included buying 3 sets of wheels, buying 6 metres of black vinyl rather than 6 feet and buying enough coolant hose to plumb the car 4 times over

On the plus side, most parts are easily sold on again either here or ebay.

Poorscousertommy - 13/1/12 at 12:49 PM

You havent seen the state of the drums I paid for!!

What on earth I was thinking I dont know... I'd just bought my powerlites and must have felt like splashing the cash!!

I knew as soon as I hit the button I had made a mistake.. Ho hum.. Anybody want to buy any drums?

big-vee-twin - 13/1/12 at 05:23 PM

Here's how they fit.

[img] Rear Caliper Bracket
Rear Caliper Bracket
[/img]

[img] Rear Brakes
Rear Brakes
[/img]