Board logo

Tacho wiring help (Yamaha R1)
Kriss - 11/12/08 at 01:02 PM

Was going over my car last night with a friend and we thought of a reason as to why my revs randomly bounce up and down!

Currently, a wire from the KOSO dash unit is shoved into coil pack number 2 to pick up the revs.

Our feeling is that the amount of electrical noise and fuzz that is in the engine may be why the random spikes in revs occur (only on the dash, the engine runs and idles sweet!)

So, could I splice into the positive wire that the coil pack is wired to?

If so, what colour is this wire? I think a red and white colour wire is common between all cylinders so I assume this is the earth and the different colour wire for each cylinder is the positive?

Can anyone a) advise on this method and b) tell me which wire to splice?

I really enjoyed fidling witht he car last night seeing as it was built for me I have always been a bit of a nancy with it.

Setting up my suspension, tracking, ride height etc with a mate who is brilliant at it next week once my shocks have been balanced! cant wait for a winter fiddle! I got the other half of the bug!

Pdlewis - 11/12/08 at 01:12 PM

I think youd be better finding where the tacho feed from the ECU has gone and use that as it will totally remove the electrical noise you get by wrapping the spark cable

Kriss - 11/12/08 at 01:17 PM

is there a chance that the ECU feed wire has been totally removed? I found it weird why it was wired in this fashion. Could it be because the KOSO dash only functions in this way?

Adam - 11/12/08 at 01:25 PM

i wired mine direct to the ecu wire.... runs fine with nice smooth action, no problems at all.

Cheers
Adam

adithorp - 11/12/08 at 04:38 PM

Sounds like a bodge. I assume you didn't do it. Need I ask who did though or could I guess?

I think most people pick up the ECU tacho feed, but couldn't swear to it.

adrian

Pdlewis - 11/12/08 at 05:00 PM

The ECU wire may have been cut right down so look at the ECU connector i dont know what year you engine is but a quick google will get you a wiring diagram so you can see what colour it should be

Kriss - 11/12/08 at 05:32 PM

thanks for the advice guys and cheers for the pm Chris! Yeah, no guesses required!

Iwill try take a look at the loom and ecu, hopefully they are tucked up behind the dash and not stripped back.

The dash has been fab thus far, just the pick up being a bit funky for revs now and again, but 95% of the time its very smooth.

Would splicing into the coil pack wire cause any additional problems can anyone see? I think I could secure and route in in a fashion so its it less exposed to electrical noise compared to how it is now shoved in the block!

Koss - 12/12/08 at 02:37 AM

Is your engine injection or carb?
If injected go for No 1 injector nice and clean with good duration. R1 tako ecu signals cause probs.

Kriss - 14/12/08 at 09:17 PM

its injection and currently has a wire shoved into to number 2.

so, is it ok to t-piece into the ingition wire before the coil?