Board logo

coolant replacement
danny84 - 21/6/13 at 07:13 PM

Me again!!!!
I'm fitting a temperature sensor to my R1 indy by moddifying an existing T piece in the top hose connected to the radiator. Soooo when i took this piece out i rekon i lost about 400ml of coolant some on the garage floor,some in a measuring jug.How do i go out about putting the coolant back in and getting rid of any air locks.Coz in theory there are two hoses full of air now.I figure i have a pressurised system.
The radiator has no cap on but does have a small diametre water hose coming out the top horizontally withe a screw and jubilee clip.Is this for bleeding.

Full idiot proof instructions please.

Cheers Danny

Jon Ison - 21/6/13 at 07:26 PM

You must surly have an expansion bottle in the system?

danny84 - 21/6/13 at 07:30 PM

Yes Expansion tank.The system works fine just don't want to F*** things up when i refill!!!

I know the coolant goes in the expansion tank but will i get any air locks when i reconnect the T piece or will the system bleed itself??

[Edited on 21/6/13 by danny84]

james h - 21/6/13 at 10:41 PM

From my experience, you should be fine. It is a bleed coming from the top of the rad - I've decided to link this to the header/expansion tank in my car. So in your case I would just use that as a bleed.

There may also be a bleed at the thermostat, depending on engine year. The 5PW R1 has a small diameter bleed pipe running from the thermostat to the expansion tank. In some cases, people take the pipe off and tap the thermostat, then use a bolt as a bleed as well.

James

danny84 - 22/6/13 at 10:14 AM

Yeah there is a small pipe off the thermostat which is also blocked with a bolt too.I was told this was used originally for the carb heater on the bike.i could use this too as a bleed.Cheers for the replys guys.