Board logo

Aluminium Trumpets, is it feasible?
Cadburys Man - 3/10/13 at 03:14 PM

Could i fit ally trumpets on my ZX9-R carbs and if so is it a daft idea due to poor filtering or incase of rain?

Daz.

puma931 - 3/10/13 at 03:31 PM

Take a look at Dan ST Engineering as they have them for bike carbs.

ianm67 - 3/10/13 at 03:32 PM

Carb trumpets are a great idea. They smooth air flow into the inlet port and also increase the speed of the airflow. They are generally used in conjunction with an air box / plenum or sausage filter.

mcerd1 - 3/10/13 at 04:00 PM

whats wrong with a set of ZX9R trumpets ?

the std. ones can be got second hand quite cheaply and fit perfectly with no mods

ok they are not that great to look at next to the alloy ones, but they should be inside your filter or airbox so no one will see them

my model 'E' carb's:

[Edited on 3/10/2013 by mcerd1]

FASTdan - 3/10/13 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by puma931
Take a look at Dan ST Engineering as they have them for bike carbs.

Thanks for that :-)

There's nothing wrong with the standard trumpets but they are a little short and often carbs come without them. Then you have the task of identifying and sourcing which ones will fit your model carbs - given there are 2-3 variants of several of the popular carbs (including ZX9R) this is not always easy. Hence we developed a few kits to suit the popular carbs, allowing fitment of aluminium trumpets in varying lengths.

They can also have a Pipercross filter integrated so you get the best of both worlds.

Cadburys Man - 3/10/13 at 04:13 PM

Sorry it's me being thick as i thought they took place of the pipercross and would protrude out of the bonnet and would be seen :-/ lol so yeah there's nothing wrong with the standard ones in that case as they aren't even seen like u said, blonde moment haha.

Daz.