Board logo

About propshafts and Quaife Reversebox
maurici - 26/5/14 at 11:09 AM

Hello everybody.

I'm updating an old MK1 R1 indy, with a quaife reverse box.

Before asking, I've been looking to some older post but not able to find clear info, or at least not enough.

A lot of vibrations on the front side... Im suspecting that all transmision train is un aligned.

QuifeReverse, have been recently serviced (new bearings and seals) and seems working quite fine, but, still vibrations.

Not sure about the phase of the joints and how they need to go.

Right now I've this configuration:

1 and 2, are in phase between themselves

3 and 4, are in phase between themselves

I'm pretty sure that 3 and 4 are OK, because there are not angles in the rear side shaft, but what about 1 and 2? needs to be out of phase? how many? 30 deg? 45? 90?

Whats about the theoricaly phasing about 1 and 4? (difficult to mantain due reverse gearbox neutral).

When I mean in phase, I mean this:

Thanks a lot for your time.

Regards; Maurici.

[Edited on 26/5/14 by maurici]

[Edited on 26/5/14 by maurici]

hkp57 - 26/5/14 at 11:55 AM

Have the props been balanced?

maurici - 26/5/14 at 11:59 AM

Yes.

ReMan - 26/5/14 at 02:14 PM

No phasing needed between 1 and 4
If the props have been balanced I would expect that the joinsts have ben set correctly phased, but your picture shows them to be correct.
When is this vibration?
All the time? At a particular speed? Does it get worse the faster you go?

maurici - 26/5/14 at 02:39 PM

Between 60 kph and 70kph... and also again whe doubling speed (120-140) vibrations are much higher than other speeds.

CosKev3 - 27/5/14 at 10:05 AM

Is the prop between reverse box and diff running straight?

Pretty sure I've read on here about people positioning the reverse box on a angle in the tunnel, rather than straight.

sam919 - 27/5/14 at 02:22 PM

Are you sure its the prop? Wheels balanced , just trying to rule the prop out. The prop , any of them should have a slight angle on them with keeping both flanges parralel.