Board logo

Which HP Fuel Pump for Fireblade?
bjw970s - 24/3/08 at 09:11 PM

Just managed to sheer the +ve terminal off of my in-line pump whilst taking the nut off!

There are no markings or serial numbers that make any sense on the pump.

Any suggestions on spec of an in-line pump for a Fireblade 929 inj?

Thanks!

Brian

[Edited on 24/3/08 by bjw970s]

MkIndy7 - 25/3/08 at 12:38 AM

I Can't say i've ever seen a Fireblade pump but:

Could you not trim off some of the surrounding plastic and soldier a wire directly onto whats left of the terminal or whatever the terminal connected to, then tape it up or cover it on some epoxy glue or something.

Seems a shame to have to buy a new pump if there was nothing really wrong with the old one.

bjw970s - 25/3/08 at 12:49 AM

As always it has sheared at the root of the terminal - nothing to grip onto! and as it is for racing not wanting to take any chances.

The fireblade book spec requires a pump that flows about 68 litres per hr min - most after market pumps are much higher.....

Don't have enough experience to work out what spec to go for from the array available.

Shall keep trawling.

hobbsy - 25/3/08 at 10:14 AM

How thick is the sheared off terminal post?

A thin drill through the middle and tap it? Or even a self tapper?

If its fat enough it might work and be secure enough. Nothing to loose if you're going to junk it anyway.

To answer your actual question in theory any fuel thats not required should be returned to your tank courtesy of the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail.

However there is little point massively over speccing the pump as it will draw more juice plus loads of fuel would be going around in a big circle and being heated up etc for no reason!

You can get Walbro pumps both in line and submerged in a number of flow rates GSS341 I seem to remember as a 255lt/hr one (enough for >500bhp) but they do 190 and lower versions...

Still miles higher than 68lt/hr though!

scotlad - 25/3/08 at 10:28 AM

I used a Vauxhall astra gte 16v Redtop fuel pump on mine- worked fine

bjw970s - 30/3/08 at 09:36 PM

Just a quick note to say thanks to Andy at AB Performance, who went out and found the Pump of of his old 954 race sidecar and sent it for next day delivery with all the pipes to fit to my car.

So pump back on, (FACET so, known item and better quality).

Brian

moochofun - 31/3/08 at 06:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bjw970s
Just a quick note to say thanks to Andy at AB Performance, who went out and found the Pump of of his old 954 race sidecar and sent it for next day delivery with all the pipes to fit to my car.

So pump back on, (FACET so, known item and better quality).

Brian

Yep, Andy is a top bloke and a great help.