Board logo

Oil level on a trackday
MK9R - 24/4/08 at 11:17 AM

I'm doing my first trackday in the BEC (ZX9R E engine) tomorrow at Hullavington. Just wondered if i should slightly overfill with oil (Its got a billet sump) if that makes any difference) as i'm sure people used to say this was best thing to do on these on track.

Paul TigerB6 - 24/4/08 at 11:22 AM

I think a 250ml overfill is best all the time, not just on trackdays.

smart51 - 24/4/08 at 11:26 AM

too much overfill can cause problems with oil frothing. People say that the R1 engine can take a small overfill.

My advice would be to come in regularly and check the car over. Tyres, oil, major nuts and bolts. I wore a tyre through the tread at Elvington once. Another guy had to be towed off because his transit drag link came adrift.

Bluemoon - 24/4/08 at 11:56 AM

Not an expert but as said over filling can actually cause real problems and excessive engine ware because of oil froth??

Dan

Canada EH! - 24/4/08 at 04:47 PM

It can also blow out crank seals if too much crancase pressure is built up, and crank striking oil can limit revs as well as frothing the oil.

mark chandler - 24/4/08 at 05:45 PM

Best thing to do is fit a really big light red llight and wire to the oil pressure switch.

The main reason you overfill is so that the pickup is never pulling air, so start off at max, if you see the light blink on hard bends add a little.

Oh change the oil before you run, adds a bit of security, old oil loses its properties to a degree.

Overfilling can also cause the clutch to slip if you overdo it.

NB/ I run my blade engine 1/2" over the max

Regards Mark

moochofun - 25/4/08 at 07:58 AM

Yep, I add a little over the max with my blade engine too. Mine has a dipstick and fill it to the top of the flat bit = +/-250ml. I got the advice of +/-250ml from Andy at AB Performance, so it must be true!!

Not sure on Kwak engines but if it was mine, I'd probably do the same. Was there any instruction about that came with the sump - some say that you need to add some oil to compensate for the sump mod...........

PAUL FISHER - 25/4/08 at 08:50 AM

I fill mine to the top level of the sight glass with the engine ticking over,it works out around 250/300ml over,mine is a zx10r,no problems yet touch wood.

Hellfire - 25/4/08 at 11:22 AM

We keep our oil level between halfway and three quarters full on the sight glass at tickover. No problems so far..........

Phil