Board logo

MGF Midi
Trev Borg - 11/4/11 at 07:36 PM

Yes I know he mgf is already a mini of sorts.

Sorry to repeat myself if anyone has already read my ideas in the donor section, but I would like you thoughts on using the MGF as a donor for a skeleton midi type thingy.

You will have to forgive for not really knowing what to call all the different types are.

So, I already have an MGF which is a little altered from the norm, but at over 1000kg as standard, the little k series is fun but not rapid.

I would like all the bits (except suspension) from the mgf in lighter open chassis. I plan on keeping the one I have and getting another for the project.

I would like something that looks likes this

sorry if I have stolen your photo. but it kinda sums up the style I like.

I would like to use as much as I can from the donor.

engine
gearbox
drive shafts
hubs, disks, callipers
gear linkages and stick
handbrake
pedal box
steering rack
steering column
radiator
exhaust downpipes

The concept is really a locost one if I am honest.

I was thinking of keeping the same dimensions as the mgf, and steering rack position to keep the setup fairly similar. I also thought about cutting bits of the car away bit by bit to leave a floorpan to work around.

So really like to know your thoughts.

You are after all the experts on midis, and will know the pitfalls and shortcomings of a project like this.

big_wasa - 11/4/11 at 07:46 PM

I love the style and your idea is good. The 1.8 comes as a 160 and the zs 180 2.5 v6 would be awsome.

The problem I see is: Getting the side tubes rolled and be repeatable.

I want cloudy to make a flat pack "LOCOST" kit. Somthing we could put our own stamp on.

Trev Borg - 11/4/11 at 08:03 PM

To keep it locost, the side tubes may be a compromise if I'm honest. May be a simpler, not as nice looking version.

The engine I have is the lowly the 1.8 non vvc with a nice 118bhp. More would be nice.

I do have a T16 engine that shares the same gearbox (PG1) as the k series, although a bit heavier, also 200ish bhp. The complete engine, box, turbo ecu bundle cost me £50

While collecting bits, I also came across a LSD for the gearbox for less than £80. It would be nice if this were to find its way into the project at some time.

Thanks for you words of support

big_wasa - 11/4/11 at 08:09 PM

hmm that torsen diff would be better in my zs

stuleah - 11/4/11 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I want cloudy to make a flat pack "LOCOST" kit. Somthing we could put our own stamp on.

I would still like to build them and be the supplier of the R4

montythemole - 11/4/11 at 08:49 PM

Would something like the Rocket not be a bad place to start?

[Edited on 11/4/11 by montythemole]

big_wasa - 11/4/11 at 08:58 PM

Its a nice car but its not Locost by any stretch.

MikeR - 11/4/11 at 09:02 PM

Instead of rolling the top tube, the rear shock pick up point is quite high, the front locations are quite low ........ have a straight line between the two. It may be a nice angle

Trev Borg - 11/4/11 at 09:13 PM

I think the straight line would work. I need the side to be quite high as I need a high roll over bar. At 6'3", I like to have something over head.

Do you think keeping the dimensions the same as the original will work ?

JC - 11/4/11 at 11:11 PM

As I said on the previous thread, I looked at this. Here is an image I used to work out if it would work - not sure what has happened to the rest of it though!

In my archive is a photo of the GTM Rossa wishbones - I was looking at something like these to bolt onto the MGF/Metro hubs with no modifications - cant' remember what the taper is on the top ball joint though.

MGF
MGF