Board logo

DVLA morons!!!!
chris_smith - 28/5/09 at 07:44 PM

when arranging my forms some months ago i contacted my local office (preston) asking there take on chassis numbers, you need to make your own using 17 digits numbers and letters, so i did.

now iv passed SVA i took the forms in by hand and sat with their so called expert on kitcars he checked the forms etc booked inspection for the 21st, i turned up at kirkham had inspection and the guy said it now goes back to preston for them to allocate tax and log book etc great i thought. called them today to see how its going, he said that i now needed to get the chassis number changed because it wasnt allocated by them, i need to get it done at an MOT garage so they can stamp the forms and send them back to preston

i argued that iv never heard anything of the sort and why didnt they pull that problem while i sat there with you (it was the same guy id when handed forms in) "well thats just the way it goes" was the response.

im absolutely furious, i was hoping to be driving this weekend and now iv got to mess around removing MY chassis number to stamp theres

aaaaarrrrrggggggggghh

chris

gregs - 28/5/09 at 07:51 PM

Worcester gave me the same form with the wrong VIN number on it.... they didn't argue when I told them I wasn't going to bother getting it stamped.

They really do need to sort their act out, seems to involve at least one throw of the dice each car that get registered!

More to the point, your MAC is for the original VIN so I would talk to swansea before progressing with changing it, could land you in a pile of poo.

[Edited on 28/5/09 by gregs]

mistergrumpy - 28/5/09 at 08:01 PM

I signed that form myself when I got it from Manchester. Doesn't seem to have caused a problem. Mind, I'm still waiting to get inspected.
I wouldn't bother just ringing Swansea they have been more than useless for me. You need to try and find out who the inspectors boss is and speak with them.

BenB - 28/5/09 at 08:15 PM

I'd tell them they're talking out of their arses and tell 'em to sort it out. Load of borrocks....

LittleAl - 28/5/09 at 08:18 PM

Is it just preston that are useless ? as long as the chassis no is not already in existence then there is no problem. i would complain.......

nitram38 - 28/5/09 at 08:29 PM

Just ask one question.........do the DVLA change the VIN of every imported car that goes through IVA?
I think the answer will be a big fat NO.
Then ask why you have to change yours.

gazzarose - 28/5/09 at 08:59 PM

My mate built a trike last year, and asked them about the VIN and they said to make it up. He just used his initials, his daughters initials and his army number. They didnt question it. Argue the toss and tell them they're wrong. He did it all In the Swansea local office, so might be worth trying them.

Good luck and hope you get it on the road soon. When my mate did his, the paper work side of things seemed to drag on for so long.

Gazza

coozer - 28/5/09 at 09:33 PM

I made mine up, its not even 17 digits long and was fine. I asked Stockton office if it was OK before I stamped it on and they said yes, not replicated on the system so OK.

Dangle_kt - 28/5/09 at 09:34 PM

doesn't sound good mate! I'd be interested on how this pans out, as I made my own chassis number up and will probably be using preston (though I have a few I could choose from since they are all a similar distance away).

There is a letter someone scanned in on here somewhere from the DVLA saying they can use their own number, might be worth showing them it as an example, then mentioing the import of cars too - see if they will listen to reason.

As has been said, if they still being stupid get swansea involved.

Fingers crossed mate!

stevem2727 - 28/5/09 at 09:46 PM

I had the same problem,but quoted the road traffic act saying that the chassis number had to be a unique 17 digit number/letter mixture. and had to supply a letter from myself saying that mk did not supply chassis numbers when we purchased the kit,this was wimbledon so they are all the same!

nitram38 - 28/5/09 at 09:48 PM

Strange because Wimbledon didn't even query my Vin on Tuesday this week.........

robinj66 - 28/5/09 at 09:50 PM

Get in touch with Swansea and go up the food chain. These idiots at some local offices are morons who do not know/understand the rules.

I have put two cars on he road with VIN I made up - no problems at all.

COREdevelopments - 28/5/09 at 10:10 PM

dont think you will get much luck at swansea either! i had the same problems. So visited cardiff local office after my retest and didnt say a thing. Strange

Rob

dogwood - 29/5/09 at 06:56 AM

I occures to me that its the words
"I've made the number up" that seems to upset them.

I contacted Swansea about mine before the SVA.
They told me "No you can't make it up"

I then went to my local office (Maidstone) to enquire about getting a number.
I told them My number was issued to me by Haynes Roadster.
Can I uas that one, or do you want to issue me with one.
They checked their compoota and said yup that number is OK

Mind you, That was then.....

David

Vindi_andy - 29/5/09 at 08:56 AM

mine was already on the chassis when I received it from vindicator and had no issues with DVLA