Board logo

Thinking out loud.... sierra uprights
Miks15 - 28/3/09 at 07:29 PM

Following on from my ongoing front uprights problem im thinking about using sierra uprights. But i still want to keep my BMW wheels and have them the same front and rear.

There fore i was thinking would it be possible to take the standard sierra hub and have it remachined to the BMW PCD. (5 x 120)

My first question is, what is the diameter of the sierra hub? Is there enough material to be able to change it to a 120mm PCD?

Failing this what are my other options regarding the matter?

Thanks

Mikkel

meany - 28/3/09 at 07:38 PM

i wonder if granada 5-stud hubs would be suitable, however, i have no idea on their geometry and similarity to sierra hubs.

meany - 28/3/09 at 07:41 PM

also the centre bore size is a issue to think about.
http://www.leightyres.co.uk/catalog/fitment.php

Miks15 - 28/3/09 at 07:43 PM

The centre bore is greater on the BMW than on the sierra, so just to check that means i shouldnt have any problems should i?

meany - 28/3/09 at 07:48 PM

you could always have some spigot rings turned up to put in to sort that out.

Miks15 - 28/3/09 at 07:50 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question... whats a spigot ring?

meany - 28/3/09 at 07:54 PM

its just a ring to take up the difference in the centre bore sizes, most aftermarket wheels use them to fit specific hubs

Miks15 - 28/3/09 at 07:56 PM

Does the center bore size have to be the same? Because the BMW bore is larger than the sierras?

Steve Hignett - 28/3/09 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
Sorry if this is a stupid question... whats a spigot ring?

bram boekestein - 29/3/09 at 11:37 AM

You need a spigot ring otherwise you will have a big whobble.

Your wheel is kept concentric on the centre bore. Studs are only there to keep the wheel on, NOT in the middle.
5x120 is maybe a little big on a sierra hub. Try the Wilwood pro spindle, they come in 5x120.65mm. Maybe you can switch the hub's only, but the complete package isn't such a bad idea i think, I've looked at them for some time.