Board logo

Toyo 888s- GG or GGG
JonnyS - 29/1/10 at 02:47 PM

Has anyone used both on track?

On heavier cars I've always used GGs, however I wondered whether there may be a good argument for using GGG on my Indy R1 as it's so light?

Cheers

Jonny

Frosty - 29/1/10 at 02:56 PM

I had this same thought when I came to renew my tyres. It would seem that for track day use, even a light car like an Indy will melt GGG compounds quite quickly.

They are designed for sprinting (90 seconds of hard use), but I have heard that they can work well on wet track days with a 7 chassis.

I have not tried this myself though.

JonnyS - 29/1/10 at 03:21 PM

I thought it was the SG that were the sprint tyres? Unhelpfully Toyo don't seem to provide much information about them

bob tatt - 29/1/10 at 06:04 PM

i use sg for trackdays done 6 on the same set now down to the markers but they seem to pick up as much rubber as they lose and they are amazing in the wet as well really surprised me how ggod they were. i use gg on the road and they dont seem to wear at all

antonio - 29/1/10 at 08:53 PM

as above
sg are the best IMHO

mad-butcher - 29/1/10 at 09:37 PM

This is the guy you need to contact.
he's technical & motorsport manager
Alan@toyotyre.co.uk
here's a reply I got from him for initial setup

Hi Tony,
The amount of camber will depend on the tread temperatures. I normally suggest a starting camber of around 2 - 2.5 on the front and around 1 - 1.5 on the rear and then see what the tread temps are doing. You should be looking for a maximum spread of 9 degrees C, coolest on outer edge.

If you would like to discuss further please give me a call.

Regards
Alan.

JonnyS - 30/1/10 at 10:49 AM

That's great, cheers. I'll drop him and email and let you know the official reply

JonnyS - 6/2/10 at 05:05 PM

Well he's definitely a great bloke. Gave me a call and we had a chat for a while. He said that we shouldn't really have any problem using GGs and should be able to get heat into them.