Board logo

Banjo fitting to Sierra rear calipers
Toprivetguns - 17/11/11 at 08:26 PM

Evening gents,

Im currently running sierra rear calipers on my MK Indy. To allow clearance for my brake lines ive purchased two banjo fittings which Ive fabricated to fit my goodrich lines.

My problem is when I install the banjo fitting to the caliper (M10 fitting) it tends to leak. (picture below)

Description
Description

Now ive tried coppers rings to seal between the mating faces, however with no luck they still leak.

What would anyone recommend? Nylon washer seals?

Regards

Andy

russbost - 17/11/11 at 08:41 PM

IIRC the Sierra caliper doesn't have a machined face, only cast, it was obviously originally intended to seal with the standard male union in the bottom of the drilling.

To seal a banjo, even with a copper washer you must have a perfect face to seal against, if you're very good with a file, you just might acheive a good enough finish, but really you should take the calipers & get them machined. The alternative if you have room is to use a straight swivel connector with a suitable bend in it.

Toprivetguns - 17/11/11 at 08:49 PM

Russbost,

Thanks very much for your reply. Do you an example of a straight swivel connector?

russbost - 17/11/11 at 09:03 PM

If you look at the picture in my ebay ad

Motorcycle brake lines brake line kits Stainless Braid | eBay

the top row far left is an ordinary straight male swivel, the 5th in from the left (dark red colour) is a female with a 90 degree bend, the same extended necks can be used with the male swivels, bent anything up to 90 degrees, sorry haven't got a convenient pic of a swivel male with a bend, but hope you get the idea.

matt_gsxr - 17/11/11 at 10:38 PM

As Russ says, although I didn't find it that difficult to sort it out with a bit of gentle filing and I am not particularly good at this stuff.

The other thing to be aware of is the bottoming out of the banjo, as the hole isn't very deep.

I think the banjo mod on Sierra callipers is quite popular as it can help with 13inch wheels.

Matt

bob - 17/11/11 at 11:19 PM

I cleaned the face up on the sierra calipers with a fine wet n dry, fitted the banjos with some copper rings from GM Vauxhaul part (thicker than the ones i had with the banjo's supplied and stopped the thread bottoming out).

Snuggs - 18/11/11 at 09:20 AM

I failed SVA on this point but that was 7 years ago.
The tester wanted to see that the surface was flat/machined.
If you have not yet passed IVA I would suggest that you take photographs.