Board logo

Assembling diff
Poorscousertommy - 12/1/12 at 11:07 PM

OK, so showing that its been a long time since my apprenticeship and I had a spanner in my hands.. How have people fitted their diff?

Instruction states 2 m12 x 60 cap head bolts - if fitted like the bolt on the left (as I assume is correct), I cant get the locknut in the casing recess - do I simply fettle the casing? Or is the fitment on the right correct? In either event I cannot get a standard washer in there....

Description
Description

Secondly, the bottom is supposed to be a threaded bar M12 x 220 - I cant get this in as the chassis prevents the bar going in parallel (above or below note I have removed the lower wishbone, this doesnt really interfere) - again is this just a brute force job???

Description
Description

Cheers!

[Edited on 12/1/12 by Poorscousertommy]

MikeFellows - 12/1/12 at 11:14 PM

yup brute force them in - thats what i did anyway

Chippy - 12/1/12 at 11:36 PM

I think you will find that the top fixing should be a through bolt about eight inches or so long, at least thats how all the ones I have seen have been fitted, (including mine). HTH Ray

mark chandler - 12/1/12 at 11:57 PM

Right hand fitting is fine, for the bit of studding I ground a champher on the end so it pushed through the end hole easily.

Regards Mark

mad-butcher - 13/1/12 at 08:34 AM

As Mark says, long time since but if I recall bottom one 1st gives a bit of juggling movement on diff, top one as right (head on the inside) bit of a B to get an allen key on but far easier than using the original bolt.

tony

TimC - 13/1/12 at 01:03 PM

The other option is to Helicoil the diff - its what MNR do/did.

Bluemoon - 13/1/12 at 03:48 PM

Ground the head on the alan bolt down on mine, not a huge amount of material to remove..

pauladamss - 13/1/12 at 05:04 PM

I used two m12 bolts on the bottom

[Edited on 13/1/12 by pauladamss]

rb968 - 13/1/12 at 06:04 PM

My diff upper bolts in as per the right hand option, length of stud through the bottom with washers and nylocs each end.

Rich

Poorscousertommy - 13/1/12 at 06:13 PM

Thanks folks, just thought the RH method looked sloppy, certainly doesnt justify a 60mm bolt!! Right.. Back to the batcave