Board logo

What calipers with 245mm discs
po79 - 9/7/12 at 05:10 PM

Hi all,

I'm fitting capri vented discs to my car and wondered what calipers to use.

I was thinking mainly about using Mondeo calipers as they are cheap and powerful.

I know I can used sierra/granada calipers but is there anything else without going to expensive 4 pots. I've heard people recommend using 260 calipers but surely that would be a waist as the pads will over lap the discs by 15mm and not be completely used?

I can make up the brakets to suit but wanted something cheap and easy to find/replace.

Cheers,

Poe.

phelpsa - 9/7/12 at 06:29 PM

Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi (bendix) calipers should fit on with a small spacer under the pad carrier. They are mostly ali and weigh about a 3rd what a sierra caliper weights. I use the non-vented version on my hillclimb/sprint Locost with Mintex M1144s and used the vented version on my 205 with the same pads and they have been all I ever needed on both. Can be picked up for about £40 a pair.

You definitely don't need anything bigger on a Locost!

phelpsa - 9/7/12 at 06:29 PM

P.S. I presume its on cortina uprights?

madteg - 9/7/12 at 07:40 PM

You can make any caliper fit as long as your disc O/D and thickness are correct.
[img] Brembo brake upgrade
Brembo brake upgrade
[/img]
Description
Description

[Edited on 9/7/12 by madteg]

po79 - 9/7/12 at 07:41 PM

Cheers,

I have been thinking for a while about using Peugeot 206 calipers didn't really think about the older model pugs.

This is all going on to a completely differnt beast!

Poe.

phelpsa - 9/7/12 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madteg
You can make any caliper fit as long as your disc O/D and thickness are correct.
[img] Brembo brake upgrade
Brembo brake upgrade
[/img]
Description
Description

The difference being that the 205 ones will bolt straight onto the uprights