Board logo

Ball joint technique
Poorscousertommy - 10/11/12 at 05:00 PM

Folks, just been assembling the front hubs, all going well until I tried to tighten the nylocks on the ball joints - 5 out of 6 spin under torque.

Any tips as to how to get sufficient torque?

Also, how important is geometry at this stage, as once they are on I can see bigger problems when trying to remove them to adjust toe (track rod ball joint, right?) and camber (upper ball joint into upper wishbone - right?)

Any hints tips and general locostbuilders knowledge appreciated.

Cheers

pmc_3 - 10/11/12 at 05:30 PM

Tip I got told recently was do it up with a normal nut first as much less likely to spin the joint. Once its pulled down in place whip off the nut and replace with the nyloc.

blakep82 - 10/11/12 at 05:33 PM

some pressure to push the taper into the upright should be enough.
get someone to push down on the top wishbone, or a block of wood under the bottom one, or a ratchet strap (not too tight!) and it should be enough to get the nut done up enough that it pulls the taper in itself

T66 - 10/11/12 at 06:13 PM

Block of wood under the joint, and jack the car up on the ball joint. If your car is light you might need to be creative with where you sit the wife and kids...

adithorp - 10/11/12 at 08:32 PM

What they said ^^^

Also, you don't remove the track rod end joints to adjust the tracking; Just undo the lock nut and turn the track rod in the track rod end.

To remove a ball joint undo the nut and give the hub a sharp strike at the side, 90' to the line of the taper.

Poorscousertommy - 10/11/12 at 10:18 PM

Thanks all, shall get busy tomorrow

stevegough - 11/11/12 at 07:28 AM

Just to add, some ball joints have an Allen key socket in the end of the bolt to contra-hold the bolt whilt tightening.

[Edited on 11/11/12 by stevegough]

rusty nuts - 11/11/12 at 08:26 AM

The ball joints with the allen key socket are a complete waste of time IMHO same as anti roll bar drop links. Ask anyone who has tried to take one off using an allen key