Board logo

MX5 uprights, brake clearance?
alistairolsen - 23/7/08 at 02:15 PM

I am using mx5 uprights for my build, havent bought wheels yet. Current plan is to run 13x6 on the front, trying to keep t the mazda offset of 40-45mm.

I have a set of wilwood powerlites which I need to mount, and I was hoping to use the standard maxda disks.

Has anyone tried similar, how much clearance is there inside the wheel? Im concerned because the cortina units have a much greater offset, and a lot of older cars had the disk on the opposite side of the knuckle from the wheels.

Bob C - 23/7/08 at 05:56 PM

You'll struggle to fit the brakes inside a 13" rim (mx5 was designed as 14". Also the wilwood calipers have opposing pots whereas the mx5 standard is to have a slidey caliper - which needs FAR less room between inside of wheel and brake disc. What I did in this circumstance was to make composite discs using an aluminium bell bolted to a standard cast rotor. Such rotors are available from the usual suspects (AP wilwood) but you need custom machining for the bells. There are some details about my build on my website - & the brakes are pretty good!
Bob

alistairolsen - 24/7/08 at 07:34 AM

Cheers, i take it this was to increase the offset of the disks to move the caliper inboard?

How far can you move the disk before it hits the knuckle?

Do you have a link to your site?

Cheers

Bob C - 24/7/08 at 01:42 PM

link = www buttun just below this text
Yes to increase offset & reduce unsprung weight. Finding somebody's standard disc the right diam, thickness, offset, PCD & hub diam. is most unlikely - DIY bells solve all these issues

[Edited on 24/7/08 by Bob C]

alistairolsen - 24/7/08 at 02:06 PM

wil have a lookie later, my work wont let me on your site!

Did you get the brakes under 13s, or where you just makign space for wider calipers under 14s?