Board logo

Smiths Electric Oil Pressure Sender
old_timbo - 17/6/12 at 10:23 PM

I'm after a sender to go with an old style Smiths black face oil pressure gauge. Resistance starts high (approx 150 ohms) and reduces with increasing oil pressure. Apparently they aren't made any more and now senders start low and increase in resistance with pressure.

Thanks

Westy1994 - 17/6/12 at 10:47 PM

I don't have one, but Merlin seem to list it?.

Merlin

Ask them for the spec sheet if they have one, I had the same issue sourcing a VDO one, also look on Fleabay .

old_timbo - 17/6/12 at 11:31 PM

That is the new type made by Caerbont who make the current range of Smiths Gauges. The only 'genuine' sender offerred by the Smiths distributors. Found out the hard way it makes the gauge I've got read the wrong way, but not before I had tried an EBay cheapie to start with - also made the gauge read wrong. So I've now got two new senders neither of which are any good.

Westy1994 - 17/6/12 at 11:48 PM

Do you know what the resistances need to be at various pressures, also the sweep of the needle in respect to the marked pressures are matched to the gauge.

If you know what the resistances need to be I will look through the old catalogues for you.

Also does the gauge have a part number or any idendifing marks on it, again these will be handy for fiding the correct one.

It took me about 2 weeks to find the sender for my 1979 gauge, but was worth the effort, as most new gauges are not very well made these days.

big-vee-twin - 18/6/12 at 08:13 AM

You can buy a 'guage healer' that will reverse the polarity so you can match your guage tothe sender, they are about £30 have a search on the internet

old_timbo - 18/6/12 at 02:22 PM

The box is marked AIS Smiths Industies so the gauge was probably made before 1984 when Lucas took them over. Part number is "ACP2202-01 Pressure Indicator 284". The reading is 0 - 7 bar. I think the sender should be proportional between approx. 150 - 20 ohms over the pressure range, so about 65 ohms mid scale.
I saw the gauge corrector and was thinking of using one for my fuel gauge, but the Ford Sierra level sender I'm using is just about acceptable with the Smiths Fuel gauge (came from a Triumph Dolomite).
I also got lucky with the temperature gauge which reads spot on with sender already fitted to the block on my Pinto.