Board logo

Unusual rivnut tool
AdamR - 18/8/09 at 11:53 AM

Anyone tried one of these? Looks like it could be more reliable than the cheapy two-arm jobbies known for broken mandrels.

Richard Quinn - 18/8/09 at 11:59 AM

I've got one. It is reliable but a bit laborious to be honest. Having used a couple of different types now it is amazing how much better some of the two-handed jobbies are than others! Go for a decent two handed one

Mr Whippy - 18/8/09 at 12:01 PM

hmm looks way better than the crap I've used in the past

Steve Hignett - 18/8/09 at 12:24 PM

Tools and tool prices is all about length of use/service really.

If you intend to only use a tool a couple times, then buy a cheap version is OK, but most of the tools I've spent my own money on have been quality, because even if they're not in continual use, I will have them the rest of my life, and will use them!

My version of a rivnut tool, is a two handled one, but its a RS Components one, not cheap, but so worth it!

AdamR - 18/8/09 at 12:44 PM

The tool quality argumnent has to be balanced against cost, and personally I know I'm not gonna get enough use out of a rivnut tool to justify shelling out £60+ however superior it is.

I like the look of this £20 one as the only thing that can break can be easily replaced (the high tensile bolt), so should leasily last a lifetime. Hopefully a good choice as I've just bought it.

[Edited on 18/8/09 by AdamR]

RickRick - 18/8/09 at 01:05 PM

i just use 12.9 bolts, with a nut, then a couple of washers, a thrust race, couple more washers and finaly the rivnut, think it cost about £4 for the thrust race, and with penny washers to support it, it'll do 3mm up to 8mm using the same thrust race

Triggerhappy - 18/8/09 at 01:38 PM

Volume of rivnuts (and rivets also by any means) is also an issue....pulling some 50 M6 rivnuts an evning in the garage on an cheap two hander can easily render in great aggrivation....and sour hands/arms.

MikeRJ - 18/8/09 at 04:03 PM

I've got this kit. Not the most locost solution but it makes fitting rivnuts (up to M10) and pop rivets such a breeze that I think it's good value.

David Jenkins - 18/8/09 at 06:32 PM

I made my own - this one is for M8 rivnuts, but the method is applicable to all.

The trick part is the bearing inside - turning the nut is a doddle.

PeteS2k - 18/8/09 at 08:11 PM

Got myself one of these...

http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod2.asp?cat=2258002340

Really, really simple to use.

mad-butcher - 21/8/09 at 06:14 PM

I've got the same one as MikeRJ had it for years can't fault it. it should be pointed out that it is advisable to use the serated type of rivnut as in David Jenkins picture as the serations grip the metal and stop it from spinning, also the solid ones are harder to set and put more strain on whatever type you use

tony