Board logo

Cleaning aluminium header tank
flak monkey - 25/1/10 at 12:05 PM

I have a shiney ali header tank for the Duratec install, but being a tight git means its a seconhand one.

Its been used on a trusty pinto and is a little rusty inside, I would obviously like it to be nice and clean.

What is the best way of cleaning it out? Soda is out as that will turn it black, so what else could be used?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

ashg - 25/1/10 at 12:10 PM

hydrochloric acid. 30% mix will do the job. don't get it on your hands

miikae - 25/1/10 at 12:13 PM

You just got me thinking about what cleans Ali pans and i know stewing Rhubarb in one leaves the pan cleaner than clean, if thats any good

Mike

PS ask mummy

[Edited on 25-1-2010 by miikae]

Pdlewis - 25/1/10 at 12:14 PM

dishwasher? then polish

mistergrumpy - 25/1/10 at 12:32 PM

I've got an ally header too and I only use de ionised water in my engine but I find that the water always turns rust coloured due to the engine and despite changing it going on 5 times it still stains the header tank anyway so haven't seen much point in cleaning the inside.

flak monkey - 25/1/10 at 12:35 PM

I hope I dont get any rust in there off an alloy block though and I would rather keep the whole thing clean from the outset.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Not sure I would be too popular if I put it through the dishwasher, but maybe boiling waster and a dishwasher tablet inside would have the same effect?

mistergrumpy - 25/1/10 at 01:46 PM

My ZX9's an alloy block too but it's coming from somewhere. Maybe other associated components. Anyhow, what about filling it with Coca Cola? That generally cleans a lot of stuff?

blakep82 - 25/1/10 at 02:00 PM

you won't see the inside of any of this anyway, so why worry?

tomgregory2000 - 25/1/10 at 02:06 PM

Water pumps are NOT made from alloy last time i looked

Angel Acevedo - 25/1/10 at 02:18 PM

fill with fispond gravel add water, shake, empty, repeat, then there are a couple of anodising links on internet, you could try to go through the hassle, just make sure thah the electrode you put in in has no oportunity o short out the tank, maybe covering in Mosquito screen.
Not sure if worth it.
HTH.

cd.thomson - 25/1/10 at 02:21 PM

ive just cleaned a header tank.

gravel, very hot water, cillit bang, a dishwasher tablet and VERY vigourous shaking brought it up like new!

02GF74 - 25/1/10 at 03:45 PM

has the rust coated the tank or chemically bonded to it?

for the former, some solvet e.g. washing power and mechanical beads e.g. gravel, marbles, dired peas and shake.

dunno about the latter.

bear in mind that unlike plastic header tanks, the rust cannot be seen in yours so don't bust a gut over it.