Board logo

Recommend me a Dremel...
jps - 15/9/13 at 10:02 AM

Thought i'd ask here - as some of you guys will have done all the jobs that such a thing is needed for!

Which Dremel and which attachments do I need to get? I'm going to be cutting GRP before too long - which is one of the main uses I can envisage.

HappyFather - 15/9/13 at 11:15 AM

I have this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-Grinding-Engraving-With-Accessories/dp/B001EX8LRQ

Pure dremel accessories fit on this.

From all the accessories it has, I have used just a couple.

The thing I spend the most is GRP reinforced cutting disks, for ally and GRP. I even had to buy extra "stalks" to hold the disks since the one that came broke on the bolt that holds the disk.
Then, I used a bit the drilling bits, the "diamond powedered tips" and a sanding cylinder.

Nice tool, a lot cheaper (at least here) than the true dremel.

AndyW - 15/9/13 at 11:33 AM

I bought a JCB rotary tool about 10 years ago, about £20 from argos, including some where near 100 accessories. I used to port 2 stroke engines with it, so it worked hard, still going strong now and that included a few jobs on the kit (although my bodywork is ali).

I just bought decent attachments, cutting wheels, stones etc.

So £20 and ten years later seemed pretty good, although the bearings do make one hell of a noise now

So really up to you, pay a lot and get a decent make, or buy cheap, and take a risk it might not last but consider how much you really will use it.

Just my thoughts!

Mr C - 15/9/13 at 11:34 AM

When building my car I used a dremel 4000 mainly with cut off wheels, does what it says on the box. I found I didn't use it as much as I thought. For straight edges I used a minigrinder with a thin cutting disc. I also used a black and decker powerfile for alot of the cutting and finishing, particulary radiusing corners and cutting curves. The Powerfile is a "must have" in my book.

chaddy44 - 15/9/13 at 12:04 PM

Maplins do a decent cordless rechargable one when i bought mine it was on offer for 14.95 with a small selection of bits :-)

Sloan85 - 15/9/13 at 01:36 PM

When I was cutting my GRP panels, I found it easiest to stitch drill the shape with a 3mm drill bit in the Dremel. Then use a diamond cutting disc to remove the shape. Finally use the sanding drum to sand the edges smooth which also worked well for the internal corners.

nickm - 16/9/13 at 07:11 PM

Hi
Multi tools are excellent all rounders for all sorts of jobs but a Black and Decker powerfile is fantastic for GRP.

Be aware its called a powerfile for a reason. It has saved me hours and hours.

Car Builder Solutions sell them as do Machine Mart

Nick M

nickm - 16/9/13 at 07:11 PM

Hi
Multi tools are excellent all rounders for all sorts of jobs but a Black and Decker powerfile is fantastic for GRP.

Be aware its called a powerfile for a reason. It has saved me hours and hours.

Car Builder Solutions sell them as do Machine Mart

Nick M

Peteff - 16/9/13 at 10:02 PM

I got my powerfile from an amazon seller for £32 and it's been invaluable.

FuryRebuild - 17/9/13 at 07:18 AM

If you're cutting composites, permagrit do a cutting wheel, which goes through everything opposite like a knife through butter. It s a single piece wheel so there's no faffing changing disks or having slitting wheels break.

Easycomposites.co.uk sell them at a good price.

jps - 30/9/13 at 09:31 AM

I'm going to drop into Maplin and pick up one of these on the way home: http://www.maplin.co.uk/variable-speed-rotary-tool-and-172-piece-accessory-set-223105

Looks like i'll be pricing up a powerfile as well though!

Out of interest - how am i likely to get on with trimming up 3mm steel using the rotary tool and the tiny grinding stones that go in it?