Board logo

Another SKY question
liam.mccaffrey - 30/11/09 at 08:48 PM

My mother in law has sky freesat, if she got a sky plus box and i hooked in a dual LNB and a second wire is there any reason it wouldn't work?

McLannahan - 30/11/09 at 08:59 PM

Although Sky scrapped the £10 charge for + I think you still need to subscribe to a package. Without this the record function won't work. The + can be added to a basic package I think. I think the basic package is £18 now?

I might be wrong though Liam

mangogrooveworkshop - 30/11/09 at 09:02 PM

The signal source for freesat and astra is 28 and 28.5 degrees if I remember rightly co-located.
yes it will work however you will need to sub to sky..

[Edited on 30-11-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

blakep82 - 30/11/09 at 09:09 PM

as i remember, when when our was installed, but before the cards were activated, the + part didn't work, so no, i don't think it will work

Gazeddy - 30/11/09 at 09:55 PM

techwatch.co.uk may have the info needed to you

mccsp - 30/11/09 at 10:38 PM

When we stopped our Sky subscription, Sky + stopped working, even with programs we had already recorded. If there is a way to get it to work, that would be awesome.

Schrodinger - 2/12/09 at 09:55 AM

Why not get a freesat box with a PVR it works on the sky dish, you will still need the dual lnb though

MikeRJ - 2/12/09 at 12:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Although Sky scrapped the £10 charge for + I think you still need to subscribe to a package. Without this the record function won't work. The + can be added to a basic package I think. I think the basic package is £18 now?

Nope, totally correct. If you want to use the Sky+ package you need a Sky subscription.

Peteff - 2/12/09 at 08:43 PM

Freesat is nowt to do with Sky, you can pick up Astra 2d on 28.2 and Eurobird 1 on 28.5 with the same dish and get a Humax freesat twin tuner PVR for £250 run from a twin LNB to record one channel while you watch another.

stevebubs - 2/12/09 at 10:23 PM

It'll work fine as a freesat box.

Won't record though unless you pay sky for the facility (£10/month)

stevebubs - 2/12/09 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

Nope - you're spot on. And you have to pay the right charges for each box - i.e. if you have more than one, then you need to pay multiroom subscription charges

My old Sky+ box is now a freesat box in my daughter's bedroom. One day I may decide she's been good enough (and I'm feeling generous enough) for me to add multiroom to my package...

[Edited on 2/12/09 by stevebubs]