Board logo

aaaaarghh!!!
CRAIGR - 13/1/12 at 07:06 PM

Bought some ram for my desktop off a friend .
1 Switched off and unplugged pc (left for 5 mins)
2.Removed old ram and fitted new.
3 Switched on hard drive light stays lit and beeeeeeeeeep, beeeeeeeeep,beeeeeeeep thats it. So thouhgt ok will put old ram back in which i did but still nowt but the beeeeeeeep,beeeeeeeeep,beeeeeeeeep,beeeeeeeeep.
Have i ferked it ???

Tatey - 13/1/12 at 07:07 PM

Check all cables, you've probably just accidentally pulled something out or dislodged a cable.

r1_pete - 13/1/12 at 07:13 PM

Google PC beep count.

The beep count and pattern will tell you whats wrong.

D Beddows - 13/1/12 at 07:18 PM

Did it really beep 3 times the 1st time and 4 the next?? or was that an extra beep of frustration from you

Are you sure it's in properly - RAM often needs a firm push (sometimes to the point where you think you're going to break something!) to seat it properly. If it did beep 3 then 4 times it could well be two seperate issues........

CRAIGR - 13/1/12 at 07:21 PM

Seemed to fit correctly as the locating clips clicked into place. As for beeps they are continuous beeps of about 4 seconds each that just continue until you switch off.

[Edited on 13/1/12 by CRAIGR]

D Beddows - 13/1/12 at 07:32 PM

Could be you've disturbed a power connector on the motherboard then - OR you've got cr*p in your RAM sockets, try blowing REALLY hard to clear them or more productively probably use some form of compressed air!

austin man - 13/1/12 at 07:57 PM

did you earth yourself to remove static ?

MakeEverything - 13/1/12 at 08:00 PM

If you bought the from funky giraffe on eBay, I got some from thm that was fecked before I got them!

CRAIGR - 13/1/12 at 08:09 PM

Cleaned inside pc then put them in one at a time with a heavy hand (club hammer at the ready) and hey presto after putting in 2x 2gb of ram i now have 3gb of ram ??? At least its working again though so thankyou once more gents for your knowledge

snakebelly - 13/1/12 at 08:11 PM

put the old memory back in, bet it will work, sounds like the new memory is goosed or not campatible with your mb. We always use Crucial scanner available at www.crucial.com/uk to ensure compatability and their delivery and warranty are good too.

mookaloid - 13/1/12 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
Cleaned inside pc then put them in one at a time with a heavy hand (club hammer at the ready) and hey presto after putting in 2x 2gb of ram i now have 3gb of ram ??? At least its working again though so thankyou once more gents for your knowledge

Unless you are running 64 bit windows (and I strongly suspect that you are not) windoes will only recognise 3.2gb ish so that's fine.

RMarine - 13/1/12 at 08:19 PM

Normally the 3 beeps mean that there is a problem with the bios...... or mortherboard. do you know how to clear the bios?

MikeRJ - 13/1/12 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
put the old memory back in, bet it will work,

I bet it won't!

quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR So thouhgt ok will put old ram back in which i did but still nowt but the beeeeeeeep,beeeeeeeeep,beeeeeeeeep,beeeeeeeeep.
Have i ferked it ???

If you have any PCI/PCE-E expansion cards, e.g. graphics cards, then make sure they are fully seated.

[Edited on 13/1/12 by MikeRJ]

CRAIGR - 13/1/12 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR

All working again now gents thankyou.