Board logo

Ebay lost item in post
pmw - 18/6/08 at 06:24 PM

As a seller I've had an item "go missing" in the post. Who is liable for this me or the buyer? The buyer has raised a paypal dispute and I have all the proof of posting etc, but it wasn't sent tracked. I'm guessing paypal will credit the buyer and I'll be out of pocket?

Cheers

SierraL_killer - 18/6/08 at 06:33 PM

You are liable but if you have proof of postage you can claim back up to £30 (i think thats the max) from royal Mail.

This is something I think Royal Mail should be concerned about as I've heard of this sort of thing happening frequently and its blatantly the buyer being cheeky in most cases.

The payment you received from Paypal has probably already been removed from your account!

pmw - 18/6/08 at 06:47 PM

Yes, paypal has had the money back, and as I sent 10 items the same day, all those arrived, apparently except this one item. I have to say I don't really believe the buyer is missing the item - why did he wait two weeks to raise the dispute and not once send an email asking where the item was.

Ebay/Paypal suck, once dispute is resolved I'll delete both accounts.

stevebubs - 18/6/08 at 06:48 PM

For the reasons above,

I never send anything I've sold on ebay unrecorded. If a buyer doesn't like the terms then I tell him not to bid.

(Put a hamster cage up, collection only, a while ago. Chap emailed me asking how much postage. When I replied "20 quid" he sent me a 30 line rant to which I replied "it's collection only. If you want me to post it then you will be paying me for time and materials to do this. I value my time."

BenB - 18/6/08 at 06:50 PM

Royal Mail don't give a poo, they've got a virtual monopoly. I sent something via RM over 6 months ago and it was "lost in post". They still haven't decided whether they're going to refund me for the loss...

pmw - 18/6/08 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
For the reasons above,

I never send anything I've sold on ebay unrecorded. If a buyer doesn't like the terms then I tell him not to bid.

This is very very sound advice, bit like never doing pc backups until after that big crash - you're always wiser AFTER the event.

UncleFista - 18/6/08 at 07:01 PM

The buyer only needs to tell Paypal his goods haven't arrived. Paypal will then ask you for proof of delivery. If you can't provide it, they'll refund.

I can't stress this enough, if you sell on ebay through Paypal, send either first or second class recorded. There's a lot of ebayers who automatically claim for none-delivery if they get something delivered that isn't Recorded.

smart51 - 18/6/08 at 07:12 PM

There was a case on here recently where they did provide proof of delivery and ebay still found against them.

Bigheppy - 18/6/08 at 07:21 PM

I have only bought from ebay and have had 3 items that have not arrived. In each case the post office denied all responsibility one item the seller sent another, another refunded the payment and I claimed from the post office for the third. When I claimed I could only claim for the item price even though it was them who lost it. To make matters worse, despite having gone to my local collection office and asking if they had a parcel, about two months later the seller contacted me saying the item had been returned to him not collected after failed delivery. Then shortly after a postal worker was found to have stolen THOUSANDS of items.

johnston - 18/6/08 at 07:52 PM

i've got same problem tight now sold some competition shocks. One pair got to isle of man no probs one set went "missing" going to wales.

Buyer took buyer less time to complain than it took for him to pay and then a few weeks after paypal refunded him he asked for positive feedback so he could leave same

I offered recorded but quoted for standard royal mail and thats what he chose in hindsight a bad thing to do..

Noticed the other day that he has had other sellers say he's messed them about complaing about undelvered goods without paying first and one where 1 seller noticed he changed address after he sent items out needless to say they had went missing..

I pointed this out to paypal that this could be a fraudster but they werent interested and the new feed back rules, that a seller cant leave a buyer negative feedback just makes a mockery of things..

[Edited on 18/6/08 by johnston]

stevebubs - 18/6/08 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pmw
This is very very sound advice, bit like never doing pc backups until after that big crash - you're always wiser AFTER the event.

Too true, but there's been a few threads like this recently.

Basically, if selling on a public forum such as ebay, I assume every seller is a potential thief.