Board logo

Iso cyanate mask, not air fed
smart51 - 12/2/09 at 02:44 PM

In this lin k is a non air fed mask that they claim is certified Iso cyanate safe. Is it likely to be OK?

Mr Whippy - 12/2/09 at 02:57 PM

hmm wonder at what point you'd find out it wasn't?

There's water based paints now that don't kill you and don't react with any finishes. They bodyshop place behind where I live uses them and they can't be expensive as he's said he'll spray my beatle for £500

Suppose to be easier than conventional solvent based paints

[Edited on 12/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

nib1980 - 12/2/09 at 02:59 PM

thats what i used when i painted my car, and i'm still here, yes i know cyanide just builds up in your system till you die.

at eh end of the day it's your life so it's your choice

smart51 - 12/2/09 at 03:03 PM

I'm still planning to use non iso cyanate paint. I was just surprised when I stumbled over this mask. I guess its possible to filter out the cyanate but you've got to have a pretty fine filter.

Mr Whippy - 12/2/09 at 03:10 PM

water based online supplier

linky

Agriv8 - 12/2/09 at 03:27 PM

I use one of these when spraying really comfy

From screwfix £15

linky

used with solvent paints and seem ok.

regards

Agriv8

Bob C - 12/2/09 at 03:28 PM

"he's said he'll spray my beatle for £500"
which one have you got? John Paul George or Ringo? ;^)

smart51 - 12/2/09 at 04:31 PM

Is the water based paint cyanate free? At £78 for a 1.5l tin, it ain't cheap.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
water based online supplier

linky

Paul TigerB6 - 12/2/09 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
hmm wonder at what point you'd find out it wasn't?

There's water based paints now that don't kill you and don't react with any finishes. They bodyshop place behind where I live uses them

Well judging by some of your posts i'd have to suggest they have previously been leaking poisonous compounds into your back yard for years!!

r1_pete - 12/2/09 at 05:56 PM

the toxins in iso cyanite when spraying can get into your body via your eyes! hence full face air fed masks.

I would not risk it.

blakep82 - 12/2/09 at 06:13 PM

i went to a paint shop, and they told me abo0ut these nearly a year ago. the ones they had were like the rubber mask with the two filters on the sides. approved for isocyanites

tommyab - 12/2/09 at 06:36 PM

We have had to use masks similar to these at work - demolishing a drilling platform in the North sea that was built in the 70s. The paint that was used gives off isocyanides when burned - through grinding/torch cutting/welding.

Apparently the half-masks are ok filter wise, but as said above the stuff can be absorbed through the eyes, so full ventilated face mask is the only safe bet.