Board logo

Refurbing Alloy wheels
M$RK_VXRD - 6/7/09 at 10:33 PM

i have done a search but cant find anything to best answer my question!

i have got a set of cossie style alloy wheels for the W7DE but they are in need of a refurb so i am going to have them powder coated!

is it best to acid dip or have them shot blasted to strip off the old paint?

also does anyone know a cheaper option other than sanding that i could do at home?

Staple balls - 6/7/09 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M$RK_VXRDanyone know a cheaper option other than sanding that i could do at home?

Nitromors?

M$RK_VXRD - 6/7/09 at 11:16 PM

just checked the details on nitromors and seen this -

Limitations/misuse: Not suitable for use on alloy wheels or glass fibre panels.

thought you were on to something then

ChrisW - 6/7/09 at 11:29 PM

I've heard of people using it on alloys with good sucess. Not tried it myself though, so only do this at your own risk.

If you want someone to do it for you, these guys are really good:

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com/

No connection to me, just a satisfied customer!

Chris

Mr Whippy - 7/7/09 at 06:58 AM

the powder coating companies I've used actually sandblast the wheels themselves. The local one here is £50 a wheel and you just hand them the manky rim and get back a shiny nice wheel

swanny - 7/7/09 at 07:33 AM

on a similar topic i have a set of 300 mile old wheels that arent marked etc, that i'd like to re paint. The re furb costs are a bit steep considering that the wheels are like new, does anyone know of a good web link with instrcutions on priming/painting etc for a dummy like me?

fov - 7/7/09 at 07:36 AM

Ian Jemison: http://www.alloywheelrepairs.com/

In York. Top service.

gavin174 - 7/7/09 at 07:46 AM

there used to be a company on ebay that did exchange cossie wheels....

might be worth a look

Steve G - 7/7/09 at 09:21 AM

As Mr Whippy says - most wheel refurb companies (and powder coaters in general) have blasting facilites so best to just hand them over and let them worry about it. Bare aluminium will soon oxidise so they'd need a quick blast anyway before priming no doubt.

deezee - 7/7/09 at 11:21 AM

A local company here in Ellesmere port will powder coat them for £15 Each. I'm lucky enough to work for a company that has its own compressors and blast pots

David Jenkins - 7/7/09 at 11:27 AM

Click here for scary health problems with Nitromors!

Hint: don't use it in an enclosed space, without proper ventilation.

DarrenW - 7/7/09 at 11:43 AM

Nitromors didnt work on my old alloys. I hated refurbing them. A year later had tintop alloys done professionally for £40 each. Well worth it. Result was far far better than diy.

swanny - 7/7/09 at 12:53 PM

wish i was nearer to ellesmere port!
long way from nottingham :-)

M$RK_VXRD - 7/7/09 at 11:21 PM

i think the nitro mores can defonatly stay in the shop!

checked aout ebay but exchange service is £240 and dosent seam cost effective for a set of alloys that only cost me £40 unfornunaty

i think im gunna give wheelrefurbishing.com & alloywheelrepairs.com a call tommorrow and have a scowt round the local powder coaters i think theres on next to MK sportscars near me

thanx for the help guys!

Benonymous - 10/7/09 at 03:23 AM

I bought these wheels off the bay of flea...

Then had them powder coated by a local firm who also sandblasted them on site. They came out looking like this.

All for $AU60 per wheel! That's about thirty quid. The only problem I encountered was that the casting was porous in a couple of places and the pores bubble when the wheels are being baked.

I cleaned up those few small areas with 2000 grit and finished with No1 polish.

Powder coating is great until you damage it, then it's a bitch to fix. If you don't kerb the wheels, they'll still look this good in 20 years