Board logo

Can you widen cycle wings
norfolkluego - 17/4/10 at 10:12 PM

I've bought some Ford 'Lazer' type wheels and had some R888s fitted but they will foul the 'turned down' edge of the cycle wings (yes I should have checked the offset) it it possible to widen the wings, they will only foul the edges, not the flat part of the wings as the rolling radius hasn't changed.

big_wasa - 17/4/10 at 10:17 PM

You could cut them and fiberglass a band in. Thats a lot of work when you could just put your rubber on some other rims and sell the laser rims on.

iank - 17/4/10 at 10:17 PM

Mr Whippy posted a howto.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=62375

Alternatively buy some new ones and sell yours to recoup some of the expense.

DavidM - 17/4/10 at 11:32 PM

Or buy a spare set of wider wings to fit when you put those wheels on. That way you can still change back to your other wheels.

David

designer - 18/4/10 at 05:53 AM

Lot easier to buy new wings

NigeEss - 18/4/10 at 07:36 AM

For what they cost I'd buy new ones.

Guihanos - 18/4/10 at 07:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by designer
Lot easier to buy new wings

especialy if the rest of the body work won't be painted. You will never have the same color as the gelcoat.

Be careful : some rear wing "are not straight" I mean the radius at the tip is smaller so when you add material bare in mind this before adjusting your extansion.

norfolkluego - 18/4/10 at 05:36 PM

Anyone got a good contact for the wider wings

[Edited on 18/4/10 by norfolkluego]

deanwelch - 19/4/10 at 07:04 PM

i think i have read this right but couldn't you just raise your front wings enough so that they clear tyres with some washers and longer bolts until you get some wider wings as that is what i have done as when i put my 205s on they touched wings........just waiting to get some new ones at stoneleigh.....