Board logo

What stuff is good to paint steel wheels?
smart51 - 16/6/10 at 02:42 PM

I want to paint some steel wheels silver. What is good and what is not? I want them to stay looking good without having to touch them up all the time. Cheap is good too. I don't want to have the tyres removed and refitted and balanced. Any suggestions?

austin man - 16/6/10 at 03:03 PM

silver wheels followed by a coat of laquer or smoothrite spray on

coozer - 16/6/10 at 03:15 PM

Silver paint...

smart51 - 16/6/10 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Silver paint...

Some "witty" remarks are funny too. I tried "5 wheel silver" paint from Halfords a couple of years ago and it wasn't very good. Do you have any suggestions for a decent product?

coozer - 16/6/10 at 03:35 PM

Well, its all in the preparation really.

Always just use black on mine... it comes off after a bit... powered coating is the best solution... but, not cheap cheap...

DavidW - 16/6/10 at 03:51 PM

If you find the right place (there should be plenty around B'ham) powder coating isn't necessarily that expensive considering the result is very good.

You would have to pay someone a little bit to remove and refit tyres through so I suppose it could add up.

This leaves you with paint but as above preparation is key.

alexcraiggtv - 16/6/10 at 03:55 PM

smoothrite (not hammerite) spray is good and comes in different colours too!

iank - 16/6/10 at 03:57 PM

The metallic powder coats I've seen lose their metallic look pretty quickly and silver just turns light grey.

I would suggest white POR15 as an undercoat and "stirling silver" top coat (both from Frost) but it seems to have become even more frighteningly expensive recently.

Maybe get a quote from a local car sprayer - most modern cars seem to be silver so they should be able to do a crafty deal for cash.

UncleFista - 16/6/10 at 04:28 PM

"5 wheel silver" is good, you just need to laquer it afterwards