Board logo

Windscreen glass
matty h - 27/5/11 at 06:42 PM

What glass do I need for making a 7 windscreen car is already registered so no problem with IVA. Do I want toughened or laminated.

stuleah - 27/5/11 at 06:48 PM

I think i am correct in saying laminated. Touhened will shatter into lots of pieces and laminated willsmash but stay together. I am sure laminated is what is on std tin tops.

austin man - 27/5/11 at 06:51 PM

laminated, toughened will shatter and was the original screen glass until laminated screens took over

myke pocock - 27/5/11 at 07:49 PM

My windscreen man used a Land Rover flat screen to make mine. The advantage of this is that it has all the necessary markings on it that would be OK for IVA although I didnt need it as mine was SVA'd without a screen.

stevegough - 27/5/11 at 08:09 PM

If you just fit the side supports and the frame, you will save yourself ever having to clean the glass!

skodaman - 27/5/11 at 10:24 PM

"If you just fit the side supports and the frame, you will save yourself ever having to clean the glass!" and you don't lose 10mph top end either.

stevegough - 28/5/11 at 08:09 AM

matty h - 28/5/11 at 01:04 PM

Thanks,do not need the markings so will probably just go to local glazing place and get a piece of laminated glas cut from a template.

whitestu - 28/5/11 at 03:08 PM

quote:

Thanks,do not need the markings so will probably just go to local glazing place and get a piece of laminated glas cut from a template.

That's what I did to get a replacement for my Caterham screen - that was 4mm and cost about £35. I think some are 6mm.

Stu

[Edited on 28/5/11 by whitestu]

Mark Allanson - 28/5/11 at 04:52 PM

Autoglass, Mobile Windscreens cut laminated glass all the time for stuff like plant cabs, Tractors etc