Board logo

Wiring indicator dash light
RK - 11/7/09 at 02:29 AM

Any ideas without a bunch more diodes? I've got about 6 of them in now! I suppose with proper switches you can avoid them, but if you want to use standard 3 pole jobs, then you are stuck with them.

Without the diodes things feedback on themselves and in this case, you get the both sides on when you select right for example. I had it wired to a light, with L and R both going to + on the LED on the dash.

brianthemagical - 11/7/09 at 09:20 AM

How have you got it wired currently, it sounds mega complicated?

RK - 11/7/09 at 01:43 PM

This is what I tried for the indicator circuit before I realised that BOTH go on when one is selected. Obviously there is a connection to both through the dash light.

The other diodes I already have are for keeping feedback out on the hazard and running light circuits. Also for the brake lights, so all the lights don't go on when the brakes are applied!

[Edited on 11/7/09 by RK]

brianthemagical - 11/7/09 at 05:10 PM

What kind of lights have you got, relays, that kind of thing. Simplest way is power to relay, out of that to dash light, then centre of switch, then off to the two sides from each side of the switch.

RK - 11/7/09 at 08:47 PM

The problem with that is the power is always on to the centre of the switch. If that goes to the dash light first, then it will always be illuminated. The power comes from a relay at the fusebox.

brianthemagical - 11/7/09 at 09:32 PM

Not true, it's open loop as the switch isn't making contact with either side circuit.

RK - 12/7/09 at 12:38 AM

Sorry, this doesn't seem to be one that's easy to answer!!

Yes, the tail lights etc only illuminate when either side is selected. However, the power then goes down to the dash light and out through the other side. Both the switch and the tail light are grounded.

The purple wire from the fuse box is always hot, when the ignition is on. That's just how it is from the fuse box. I can't do anything about that because the relay and fuses are prewired. If the wire goes to the dash light prior to going to the indicator switch, then the dash light will always illuminate.

I am sure that most people on here have special switches for indicators, which do not allow this sort of thing to happen. I don't have access to a Sierra donor unfortunately!!

M$RK_VXRD - 13/7/09 at 11:26 PM

all i did was fit a diode inbetween each wire to the dash light its the only way other than having 2 dash lights!

p.s. why are ur brake lights wired to indicators on your diagram??

RK - 14/7/09 at 06:47 PM

Because they are all the same light. Each side only has one light on the rear. Diodes are stopping things from getting out of hand (not shown). It looks like even more diodes are the answer. Fortunately, I have a few around, and have a block with space left on it.

Believe it or not, I am almost finished with wiring! Convoluted tubing and zip ties are the order of the day.

[Edited on 14/7/09 by RK]

RK - 16/7/09 at 10:16 PM

Diodes in on indicator circuit, between the dash light and the switch, and VOILA!! Everything works as planned. What a relief. Sometimes you get lucky.