Board logo

What way should a speedo magnet face? please help
Kriss - 28/7/11 at 12:49 PM

Hi everyone.

I have relocated my speedo sensor (koso magnet style) from prop engine end to a drive shaft. Its a really neat instal with decent brackets and out of the way of flying muck which seemed to ruin the last install position.

Problem is - I have glued 2 magnets on and dialed this into my speedo yet it is only picking up one of them!

Could it be that one magnet is facing the wrong way?

I have dialed int he correct tyre diameter and also I get a perfect reading on speedo when I change it to 1 magnet on its settings.

The magnets are very small rare earth magnets roughly 6mm by 3 mm

Secondly - could this be why my Acumen DG8 is not working when I try and teach it the gears again?

Help - I got to 'Ring in a week

Cheers

djtom - 28/7/11 at 01:19 PM

On my Koso unit, they need to have the N side facing the sensor - I found this out the hard way! When they are new they have N written on one side (very faintly), I'm guessing that this is no longer present on yours after the glueing!

Easiest way to tell is to un-glue them, wave each one in turn at the sensor and it's easy to tell which way round it should be when the speedo registers a speed.

T

02GF74 - 28/7/11 at 02:08 PM

the N end of compass needed can be use to work out the orientation.

sonds like the sensor is hall effect/indusctive since a reed switch would not care.

flibble - 28/7/11 at 02:19 PM

If you've a spare magnet then see if it attracts the glued on ones in the same orientation, or if one repells and one attracts you`ll know theyre different. Might save picking them off

Kriss - 28/7/11 at 02:26 PM

I bought new un marked magnets but have dotted them up with ink using a compass - will see how it goes installing them.

hopefully my gear indicator will work nicely now too when learning the gears.

Is more magents "better"?