Board logo

making my prop bolts magnetic
blueskate - 1/1/12 at 12:29 PM

Hi,

I need to pull a speed signal from my prop. I thought it might be a good idea to embed my magnets into the prop bolts? would drilling a hole in the top of the bolt weaken it? I'm thinking this might save me losing magnets if I could do this? Alternatively it would be great to get a set of magnetic bolts but I think thats hoping for too much!

Any comments people?

Thanks

ReMan - 1/1/12 at 12:59 PM

Will be easier and safer to drill and embed the magnet into the prop plange adaptor, (pic in my archive i think) Also lots of places to hange the sensor bracket from too

ReMan - 1/1/12 at 01:09 PM

Actually, are you sure you need magnets, dependant on your sensor, some will pick up on bolt heads alone?
PS the pic in my archive was an early one, with magents on the driveshaft flange not as i described which I now have. ie a single magnet drilled and epoxied int the prop adaptor

rusty nuts - 1/1/12 at 01:40 PM

My speedo sensor uses the standard prop bolts with no problems

stevegough - 1/1/12 at 03:12 PM

Messing with prop bolts is a good way to get your relatives to read your will........

not a good idea.

omega0684 - 1/1/12 at 04:11 PM

mount it off a drive shaft bolt, mych more room at the back of the car than in the tunnel too!

speedview - 1/1/12 at 05:56 PM

Which sensor are you using?

As above - you shouldn't need magnet(s) in your bolts.

So long as they are magnet(ic) - ie steel - you should be fine.

Which gearbox? Did a later model have an electronic sender you could use instead?

Ninehigh - 2/1/12 at 03:13 AM

Solder small magnets to the heads of the bolts?

blueskate - 3/1/12 at 01:20 PM

thanks for the replies. I'm using the ETB digidash 2 and accumen gear indicator. I took your advice and didn't drill the bolts I have a cog that run my reversing system so I just embedded the magnets into that. Haven't powered it up yet so who knows if it will work!

Autosri - 4/1/12 at 12:13 AM

i thought the bolts needed to be steel and the sensor was the magnet part like crank sensores ect