Board logo

General karting Q?
Richard Quinn - 8/8/10 at 02:30 PM

Just thinking out loud really but which of; Senior TKM, Senior Formula Blue, Senior 125 Clubmans or Rotax 177 would be most appropriate for a 90kg middle-aged bloke?

Dangle_kt - 8/8/10 at 02:35 PM

this type

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MytfhzcSF-Y

Paul TigerB6 - 8/8/10 at 02:47 PM

90kg middle aged bloke - you know one that light then Richard?? ;-)

I guess you must have been down to Hooton Park for a look around???

link

Richard Quinn - 8/8/10 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
90kg middle aged bloke - you know one that light then Richard?? ;-)

I guess you must have been down to Hooton Park for a look around???

link

Yeah, I know someone "that light", I'm asking on behalf of a friend
No, I've not been down to the track at Hooton Park (Our office is 10 mins from 3 Sisters!)

snapper - 8/8/10 at 03:27 PM

Truck racing

jeffw - 8/8/10 at 03:43 PM

My favourite was the SA250 Biland...great engine for a kart.

Richard Quinn - 8/8/10 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Truck racing

Looked at it but, realistically, it is just a little too expensive. I'm not sure that be able to tow one with my Mondeo either.

Nash - 8/8/10 at 04:51 PM

90kg is to heavy to sprint. Look for an Enduro Series. Rotax or even Pro-Kart. Trust me 24hr events are a thing of beauty and the sense of achievement is awe inspiring. Plus you can run in Europe too..... Which is great.

Be suprised if 3 sisters don't do a Rotax Endurance series 11/2 hrs. Whilton Mill certainly did and down South I know Bayford Meadows still do.

Richard Quinn - 8/8/10 at 05:38 PM

Both Hooton and Three Sisters do Prokart endurance and non-MSA events on a pretty much monthly basis all year round

carpmart - 8/8/10 at 06:52 PM

Don't bother with the kart racing come and race BIG karts called Superlights or Drakarts!

We race a 3 sisters around 3-4 times per season!

Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkVu1JzKwtA from last weekend!

Not my best race ever but you get the idea!

Richard Quinn - 8/8/10 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
Don't bother with the kart racing come and race BIG karts called Superlights or Drakarts!

I'd love to but looks far more expensive than karting and I like the idea of getting some garage space back. I've been through all the falling out with neighbours for washing down muddy cars on the drive/road etc when I raced Autograss.

carpmart - 8/8/10 at 07:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart

I'd love to but looks far more expensive than karting and I like the idea of getting some garage space back. I've been through all the falling out with neighbours for washing down muddy cars on the drive/road etc when I raced Autograss.

If you want to race Karts competitively it will cost you a LOT more than racing a Drakart! Competitive Kart racers spend a fortune on engines and do things like removing the grease from their wheel bearings to give them an extra 1/2 HP. Apparently they just spray them with some WD40 before they go out!

Racing a Drakart will cost you a lot less than competitive Karting!

Richard Quinn - 8/8/10 at 07:25 PM

At my age, I've left it a little late to follow in the footsteps of Button and Hamilton so I have no aspiration to be on the podium every weekend. I'm comparing costs at the "also-ran" end of the competitive spectrum

carpmart - 8/8/10 at 07:30 PM

In that case I misunderstood your original question! I thought the reference to your weight and a number of different series in your original post, was related to your desire to be competitive based on your weight and age not impacting your performance too much, hence my reference to being 'competitive'!

Richard Quinn - 8/8/10 at 07:54 PM

There's competitive and competitive! I was looking for suggestions of classes where I would stand a chance of finishing on the same day as those at the front. It would be no use me considering a class with a minimum weight of 120kg unless I can find a way of filling the frame (or me) with helium.

Tiger Super Six - 8/8/10 at 08:05 PM

There is some nonsense on this thread!

I race Senior TKM and weigh similar to you. This is really a bit heavy as you should be in the clubman weight class but they don't run it at my club, but I still have plenty of fun.

You would fit Rotax 177 fine and might even need a bit of lead. The real question is how much you want to spend. Rotax IS more expensive than TKM.

Pop to the track where you will race and see what grids they have. If they have good TKM grids that will be a cheaper way into it and you can move to Rotax if it suits and you have the slightly larger budget.

eddbaz - 8/8/10 at 11:55 PM

i used to race prokarts at your weight, some of sprint race series run a heavy class

matt.c - 10/8/10 at 08:10 PM

177 will your best bet. I race in the rotax 177,s and i weigh 87.6kg. I also add 5kg of lead to get to the 177kg min limit.

The rotax max 125 is really good strong engine with plenty of power. I was shocked how quick it went!!

Also as the rotax is a taged engine it stops people cheating so racing is much closer. Also has onboard starter so no pushing needed.

Matt

ac1962 - 28/9/10 at 12:19 PM

Rotax 177 for you m8. TKM too slow. if a rotax senior max is looked after it will last 50 hours before a rebuild. Thats 50 hours on track time. Or about 2-3 years for most hobby karters.

boggle - 28/9/10 at 02:35 PM

deffo 177's. i had a max and it would stick with a gearboxed 125 kart at bayford meadows....

i used to race the 3 hour endurance series....

i dont think that i ever ached so much after each race!!!