Board logo

At last! Collected the new project .....
Norfolkluegojnr - 6/10/10 at 09:31 PM

Drove excellently, well chuffed with the whole car. perhaps a bit firm for the road, but should be awesome on track. Pics below including Norfolkluego, and the beautiful evening we just had.....

Am i in the gang officially now?

matt.c - 6/10/10 at 10:08 PM

Is that a hill behind you?

We dont have hills around here

Nice car BTW

Madinventions - 7/10/10 at 12:21 AM

A hill? No, that counts as a mountain in Norfolkshire! And take a look at the angle of descent on the driveway - it's like a cliff-face!

<ahem>

So will we see you at the Diss meeting on Sunday?

Ed.

Dopdog - 7/10/10 at 06:15 AM

looks great more info engine?

pekwah1 - 7/10/10 at 07:58 AM

jealous! i've got one of those but don't doesnt drive yet...

Norfolkluegojnr - 7/10/10 at 08:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
looks great more info engine?

Its a 1600 CVH with twin 45's and a race cam.

I was quite suprised how well it went at the top end, a fair bit more pokey than the original crossflow in dads Luego.

Zetec conversion is on the cards eventually, but for now i'm going to try and enjoy the beast as it is.

Might need to wing the suspension down a bit as i'm pretty sure its sprung for track, as my spine is a bit bruised

Need some good weather now!

mangogrooveworkshop - 7/10/10 at 12:02 PM

At least its the right colour....and but some ones stuck a big piece of paper on the nose.....

Werner Van Loock - 7/10/10 at 06:10 PM

congrats on a very nice car, i'm a bit biased off course

But don't go zetec, go 4age, car is too small for a big lumpy zetec and 4age and striker are a perfect match imho

In my opinion there's only 3 engines suited for the striker: x-flow, 4age or bike all the rest is either too heavy, too big or too slow

here's a pic of mine with it's new cage:

striker cage 1
striker cage 1

[Edited on 7/10/10 by Werner Van Loock]

Norfolkluegojnr - 8/10/10 at 07:49 AM

That cage looks awesome. Very well nailed together.

4age was the other option (i'm more a fan of CEC) but i know very little about them, and having done a zetec conversion, i'd be more comfortable with the outcome.

Without starting a new thread, what are the basics needed for the change? i can reuse my 45's, and the car is on a type 9 which i think you can get an adaptor bell housing for?

norfolkluego - 8/10/10 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Is that a hill behind you?

We dont have hills around here

Molehill

Don't use the words 'new lawn' and 'molehills' in the same sentence when you're talking to him

Werner Van Loock - 8/10/10 at 08:36 PM

you need a bellhousing from raw and possibly a hydraulic clutch slave + clutch.

A twin DCOE manifold for your carbs and a trigger wheel + megajolt and you're done.

And some plumbing off course.

apart from the clutch + bellhouse it's the same thing as the zetec conversion with same power output but in a much smaller and lighter package.

My 4age live axle striker weights in at 500kg, maybe a tad more now with the cage.

[Edited on 8/10/10 by Werner Van Loock]

tul214 - 8/10/10 at 08:41 PM

I have an inlet for twin 45's if you decide on the 4a-ge conversion.

JimSpencer - 8/10/10 at 10:23 PM

Hmm

I'm running 4age phase 3 16v and assuming we're talking speed events still, definatly wouldn't go for a normal Zetec as it would put me up a class break (over 1.7L) and it would be outclassed in there..

Saying that don't know if I would go down the 4age route again either, to get up to 170ish bhp is easy enough and it belts along happily, but to get more can be pricey.
The weapon of choice seems to be either the 1.7 Zetec SE (out of a Puma) which seems to get to around 200 ish for reasonable money (couple of folks getting nearer 230 - 240 apparently but big bucks) or the 1.6 Vauxhall as that can be tweaked to around 200 ish too.

Saying all that of course the first point of call is make it handle right, there's normally more corners than straights

JimSpencer - 8/10/10 at 10:27 PM

Oh and nice car BTW!

If it's a bit OTT in the springs dept, might be worth investigating a front ARB if it's not got one, before changing things..

Once you've got the roll under control you can then come down significantly on the spring rate - got this T shirt..

Made a huge difference to the on track performance plus your fillings stay in when it sees the street!