Board logo

Personal plate Q
big_wasa - 26/6/12 at 04:51 PM

I’ve been offered a plate on another forum. The guy has bought a cat c with this plate on. Its getting near ready for putting on the road.

Is there any way I can gauge its value ? The guy is looking for offers and I guess its worth more than I am prepared to pay. It has novelty value but it wont make my tintop any faster. That said if it isn’t valuable I would like it

iank - 26/6/12 at 04:55 PM

It's worthless I'm afraid as they can't be transferred.

http://www.plates4less.co.uk/plates/search_Q-DVLA-prefix.asp#q2

[Edited on 26/6/12 by iank]

big_wasa - 26/6/12 at 04:59 PM

Sorry I didnt make it very clear, the Q in the title is short for question. The plate is not on a Q

How do I value this ?

[Edited on 26/6/12 by big_wasa]

Hellfire - 26/6/12 at 05:20 PM

Looking at similar plates on the internet,W**SSA are advertised at around £400. I'd go in with an offer of £300 because the plate you want has one number less

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than £400 but it depends how bad you want it............

Phil

Stott - 26/6/12 at 05:27 PM

Don't forget to factor in the £80 transfer or £115 retention fee (plates sold on the dvla website have this in The cost and are ready to either keep for a year or put straight on a vehicle)

[Edited on 26/6/12 by Stott]

owelly - 26/6/12 at 05:38 PM

I'd say £500 including fees wouldn't be too far away. Or bung him a cheeky offer and see what reaction you get.

iank - 26/6/12 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Sorry I didnt make it very clear, the Q in the title is short for question. The plate is not on a Q

How do I value this ?

[Edited on 26/6/12 by big_wasa]

Where is the blush smiley when you need one

austin man - 26/6/12 at 06:56 PM

hes a stealer so would be happy to make as much money as he can, ask him how much for the car as is then ask him how much for the plate you could turn yourself a profit by buying the car and selling it on

big_wasa - 26/6/12 at 07:14 PM

No its a private car. The trade plates are his mates. But I have no doubts he wants max price none the less. But that wont be from me.

loggyboy - 26/6/12 at 07:26 PM

Seems a fairly neesh plate, cant see what else it can spell, or how it would appeal to a very wide group. (maybe the asian market)
I'd say £200 plus transfer tops.

[Edited on 26/6/12 by loggyboy]

mark chandler - 26/6/12 at 08:41 PM

First letter and number does not mean anything like these would F8 = fate, L8 = late, K9 = dog

SSA is not SAS or anything useful like that so not worth to anyone unless they are your initials or company name.

Worthless then really, it does not add to the value of the car, just percieved by the seller so £100 + transfer above that wasting your time IMHO.

The seller will no doubt look at the DVLA site and want £405 or £610, but they have a nationwide audience so may get a buyer, will he?

Regards Mark

Davg - 26/6/12 at 09:26 PM

Wasa
Be aware though that when the car the plate is on as a cat c is registered after vic test that dvla sometimes note the plate as non transferable. Can onlytell when they issue the new doc. So you don't want to part with folding too early!

Neat plate for you though.

Cheers D

chillis - 26/6/12 at 09:36 PM

I would check up on this but cat C and D plates might not be transferable either.
Always used to be the way to hide accident damage was to put a private plate on and I think they make cat c and d non-transferable to stop this.
Also if you transfer the number then your car might get listed as cat c.

[Edited on 26/6/12 by chillis]

big_wasa - 27/6/12 at 04:28 PM

cheers for the info. Looks like he is stuck with it then

big_wasa - 22/1/14 at 06:07 PM

Ok we move forward eighteen months and in this time the seller has reminded me a few times he still has it and the poor car has been written of again.

Am I correct in thinking that if he breaks it for parts and lets the Tax / Test / Insurance laps then the plates lost for good. And the only safe way I can buy just the reg is if the owner puts it on retention or transfers it (no good to me as I am changing car) before hand ?

help, advice

[Edited on 22/1/14 by big_wasa]

loggyboy - 22/1/14 at 06:41 PM

It will only be lost if the car is officially scrapped, it only needs an MOT to be transferred.
If you know a friendly MOTer who trusts you it could be a route if hes willing to MOT the V5

vysie - 22/1/14 at 06:55 PM

i no this is an old thread the mg in pics, was it for sale in its day in wolverhampton birmingham and the garage shown co op is it the garage in wombourn ?
im sure if it is its my mate car as the reg looks just like his and it was on same car colour etc

vysie - 22/1/14 at 06:59 PM

infact looking at it again im 100% sure its warrens car. nice bloke but he got turned right over with a car he bought from our old company lol
passat estate.

big_wasa - 23/1/14 at 07:06 PM

Well fate made its mind up for me with my wrist in a cast and me on the sick for the near future

vysie - 23/1/14 at 07:08 PM

wat u done mukka

CarLover4Ever - 28/2/18 at 07:55 PM

This website http://absolutereg.co.uk/ might be helpful with figuring out what something like that would cost. I think it's interesting too.

ReMan - 28/2/18 at 10:33 PM

Cars probably sold 4 years on?

Mr Whippy - 1/3/18 at 12:27 PM

lol posted originally in 2012!