Board logo

Locost weight
UncleFista - 3/5/11 at 03:32 PM

We've been idly wondering what out car weighs for years, anyway my bro took it to be weighed today and it's lighter than we thought.
"book" chassis, zetec, type 9, steel floor etc.

Bumble - 3/5/11 at 03:48 PM

650kg

dan__wright - 3/5/11 at 03:53 PM

carpmart - 3/5/11 at 03:58 PM

570kg?

StevieB - 3/5/11 at 04:59 PM

My Indy was 426kg according to the SVA front/rear axle weights. I don't think that adding the two together gives an accurate reading though.

When I do another build, my aim will to make as absolutely light as possible and aim for under 400 (without all the road going gubbins like lights, reverse gear and other IVA pedantry). Should be doable with a bike engine.

David Jenkins - 3/5/11 at 05:12 PM

600Kg +/- 20Kg according to the local weighbridge

loggyboy - 3/5/11 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
My Indy was 426kg according to the SVA front/rear axle weights. I don't think that adding the two together gives an accurate reading though.

Mathematically It should be.
And in practice I've weighed a whole car on a weigh bridge then checked axles, and corner weights by mving the car around and the sums were pretty much spot on within a kilo or 2.

Hellfire - 3/5/11 at 05:41 PM

SVA weighs each axle individually, usually by dropping into rollers. The weight shifts and the combined weight of the vehicle does not equate to Axle 1 + Axle 2 weights.

For example; At SVA, our blade engined Indy had an axle 1 weight of 194kg and axle 2 weight of 220kg. The actual weight of the whole vehicle was not 414kg but nearer 500kg when weighed accurately

Phil

[Edited on 3-5-11 by Hellfire]

Steve Hignett - 3/5/11 at 08:59 PM

FFS Phil, don't be coming on here spouting all that crap about accurate weight figures and axle's not equalling the total weight, you will make everyone who thinks they have a car under 450 kilos start to doubt their own weights, and realise that it's a load of crap until weighed accurately... Y'know like on 3 paving slabs and £3.78 set of Tesco's finest range scales............

scootz - 3/5/11 at 09:01 PM

iank - 3/5/11 at 09:27 PM

Come on don't burst peoples bubbles, you'll be saying that people overestimate their bhp and should go to a reputable rolling road next.

franky - 3/5/11 at 09:33 PM

it would work on a trike with 3 slabs if you zeroed the scales properly and had the weight of the slabs in the first place.

Food scales will do.

dhutch - 3/5/11 at 10:35 PM

For comparison.

Narrowbody westy, live rear, ali floor, 540kg

Daniel

HowardB - 1/6/11 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
FFS Phil, don't be coming on here spouting all that crap about accurate weight figures and axle's not equalling the total weight, you will make everyone who thinks they have a car under 450 kilos start to doubt their own weights, and realise that it's a load of crap until weighed accurately... Y'know like on 3 paving slabs and £3.78 set of Tesco's finest range scales............

what if four sets of electronic "bathroom" scales were bought and the paving slabs left at Tesco, is it possible to sort the corner weights?

thanks in advance,