Board logo

Who waves?
JeffHs - 1/10/11 at 11:51 AM

A not very representative sample I'll admit, but on a longish drive in glorious weather through the Peak District on Thursday, the driver of every interesting car I passed gave me a grin and a wave with one notable exception - the Caterham pilot who stared stonily ahead.
Some of the vehicles were very much more desirable/expensive/classic than mine but no-one made any class distinction apart from the one.
What's your experience?

theconrodkid - 1/10/11 at 12:01 PM

had loads (when i had mine)...even dare i say cateringvan drivers,looking forwards to meeting a fellow hairdresser on the road now

steve m - 1/10/11 at 12:05 PM

I had a cateringvan wave, and then put his hand back inside very quickley when he realised mine was a copy
well, thats what it seemed like

Steve

bi22le - 1/10/11 at 12:23 PM

I live near Dartford and the caterham factory is literatly at the end of my road. I see quite a few caterhams but very few thumb up or wave.

Maybe they are too busy pondering if thier car is really worth what they paid?!?

coozer - 1/10/11 at 01:58 PM

Yep, I get a wave of all sorts, right down to oldies in Rileys and ww2 jeeps... go to the local club and while most of the guys are nice and chatty there are a couple of van drivers who ignore all the kits

eddbaz - 1/10/11 at 05:02 PM

When I'm out riding my sports motorbike all other bikes seem to nod apart form BMW riders, seem to have some sort of superior attitude, funnily when I'm commuting on my 125cc no one nods.

Confused but excited. - 1/10/11 at 05:20 PM

It's like Deja V all over again.
When I first entered these hallowed halls, there was a MASSIVE thread on this subject, that was deleted. It made very funny reading (if you had the time).
I wonder how long this one will go on for/last? . . . . .

Ninehigh - 1/10/11 at 06:52 PM

I wave a lot at people, anyone really who cuts me up or gets in the way. I have a special little two fingered wave

jollygreengiant - 1/10/11 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
It's like Deja V all over again.
When I first entered these hallowed halls, there was a MASSIVE thread on this subject, that was deleted. It made very funny reading (if you had the time).
I wonder how long this one will go on for/last? . . . . .

+1

BTDTWT'T'SWTV.

Edit bit for the initially challenged.

Been There Done That Worn The 'T' Shirt Watched The Video.

[Edited on 2/10/11 by jollygreengiant]

Confused but excited. - 1/10/11 at 09:45 PM

Dude, have a heart. I'm over sixty and don't speak txt talk, techno babble or what ever you call it. I only got as far as ROFPMSL and that took months on here.
Any chance of a simple English translation?

Thanks to the large, happy, verdant gentleman advertising vegetables for the explanation. Much appreciated.

[Edited on 2/10/11 by Confused but excited.]

907 - 1/10/11 at 09:57 PM

It's the one thing I miss now I no longer own a bike.

At local bike meets it didn't matter what you turned up on.
A knackered old Super Dream was greeted with the same enthusiasm as a £15k Harley.
Bum in the air super bike or Beeza Bantam, street fighter or trike.
A bike is a bike, and a biker is a biker. We all waved or nodded when out on the road.

It's a shame the car scene isn't the same.

Paul G

Madinventions - 1/10/11 at 10:09 PM

quote:

BTDTWT'T'SWTV.

Errr.. Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt(?) slightly... worried... tiny... velociraptor?
Am I close?

Ninehigh - 1/10/11 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions
quote:

BTDTWT'T'SWTV.

Errr.. Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt(?) slightly... worried... tiny... velociraptor?
Am I close?

Lol I was thinking Bar-sTuD, TW*T T**S What The, er, V?

craig1410 - 2/10/11 at 12:51 AM

When I'm out I get loads of waves from excited kids and motorbike riders mainly. Some boy racers will give a wave or flash lights too. One guy at a petrol station thought I might be "The Stig" (I'm not - honest....)

RK - 2/10/11 at 01:47 AM

I have to say I was at Detling a few years ago, and when I approached the Westfield people I expected the cold shoulder, being not only a "locost" builder but a foreigner (OK, former colony so I get a bit of a break), and found them very very welcoming.

BTW, Confused, please enlighten other oldies regarding the R thing. I really don't know.

rusty nuts - 2/10/11 at 08:45 AM

If you want other drivers to wave at you get a Reliant , they all seem to wave at each other. Never yet had a wave from a Cateringvan driver but have had loads from other kitcar drivers

stevebubs - 2/10/11 at 10:29 AM

My personal experience with the caterham lot is that 98+% of them are great welcoming guys. Unfortunately, the remaining 2% give them a bad name...

Confused but excited. - 2/10/11 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
I have to say I was at Detling a few years ago, and when I approached the Westfield people I expected the cold shoulder, being not only a "locost" builder but a foreigner (OK, former colony so I get a bit of a break), and found them very very welcoming.

BTW, Confused, please enlighten other oldies regarding the R thing. I really don't know.

ROFPMSL = Rolling On Floor P155ing Myself Laughing
HTH. Oh, Hope That Helps.

liam.mccaffrey - 2/10/11 at 05:22 PM

i went on the westfield experience day and they were a right laugh and really interested in my project and general gearheads