Board logo

OT: Stamina
matt.c - 18/7/10 at 10:57 PM

Right then, As you lot seem to know everything i thought i would ask this question.

In my kart racing im struggling to keep up the pace at the middle to end of the races. My fastest laps are allways on lap 5 out of 10.
Im finding it hard to breath and end up with a totally dry mouth and gasping.

I know i need to work on upper body weight training and stressed cardiovascular but i have to be careful not to loose too much weight as i need to keep to a spec driver weight.
I can start this over the winter but i need to find a quick fix for the next 2 meetings.

What about energy drinks? Do they work? How much do you need to drink?

I only need it to work a 15 mins at a time.

Any ideas?

Can you recomend any good energy drinks?

Thanks guys

Matt

EDIT: Legal drinks only please.

[Edited on 18/7/10 by matt.c]

Steve Hignett - 18/7/10 at 11:00 PM

[muffled cough]ephedrine[/muffled cough]

edited for smiley

[Edited on 18/7/10 by Steve Hignett]

liam.mccaffrey - 18/7/10 at 11:08 PM

I deleted my post by accident, but it was something like

Do weights, swimming, indoor rowing and exercise ball routines.

and don't waste money on energy drinks when 50/50 water orange juice with a teaspoon of salt is just as good

[Edited on 18/7/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

matt.c - 18/7/10 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Orange juice mixed 50/50 with water and a teaspoon of salt is all you will ever need.

Interested in this? How will it work?

Im not after being a superman but just want to be able to concentrate and keep going to the end of the race.

daviep - 18/7/10 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Orange juice mixed 50/50 with water and a teaspoon of salt is all you will ever need.

Interested in this? How will it work?

Im not after being a superman but just want to be able to concentrate and keep going to the end of the race.

2% dehydration = 25% reduction in performance.

Davie

liam.mccaffrey - 18/7/10 at 11:26 PM

I edited the wrong post,

I don't think my formulation will help your specific situation but staying properly hydrated will help fatigue.

What I was getting at is that keeping hydrated on something like lucozade can get very expensive whereas water, orange juice and salt does exactly the same job as any high dollar "energy drink" and at a fraction of the cost.

I was at a very interesting lecture given by a UK atheltics nutritionist who gave the above advice.

dave - 18/7/10 at 11:31 PM

Liam should you use freah orange or dilute (robinsons)

fastg - 19/7/10 at 01:20 AM

Matt, your not getting dehydrated during a 10 lap race. your probably not breathing correctly. Your probably not breathing at all for part of your lap. So concentrate on breathing, one plan is to breath out at every apex, and breath in as you exit the corner. You can get special mouthpieces that have a gap between the upper and lower sections, it makes breathing easier. I work a lot with motorcycle racers and this is a common problem.

Daddylonglegs - 19/7/10 at 01:26 AM

I tend to agree with fastg, when I'm on a 'spirited' ride on the bike, I always find that I get a really dry mouth and seem slightly out of breath. I guess it's because I'm concentrating more on keeping on the tarmac than breathing?

HTH

blakep82 - 19/7/10 at 06:54 AM

breathe, make sure your visor is open about 1cm, and drink water, or as said, water and orange juice. energy drinks will probably make you feel worse! the sugar will make your mouth drier or sticky

StevieB - 19/7/10 at 07:39 AM

To keep my endurance and strength up I keep a good mix of CV and strength training up.

I do 2 sessions a week of weight training doing a total body workout with heavy weights (3 sets of 6-8 reps - make sure you can't lift a single rep more at the end). I top and tail the sessions with a Tabata session on the rower (look up Tabata Protocol on google).

I do an interval running session once per week, 3 -5 miles in total (depends how I'm feeling) and a long drag run (60 minutes keeping heart rate right down to 120 bpm - should be able to hold a comfortable conversation while running without problem) to burn fat.

I also do Muay Thai once a week, which realy helps with endurance, flexibility and core strength.

I wouldn;t worry about losing weight - when I stop training I actually lose about 3/4 stone rather than put weight on.

I run Toughguy every year (next Sunday in fact) which gives me a goal to keep training for, and I have plans to have a crack at Kart racing at some point in the not too distant future.

cd.thomson - 19/7/10 at 07:49 AM

never feel weak again:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

BenB - 19/7/10 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
[muffled cough]ephedrine[/muffled cough]

That'd make the dry mouth worse! Infact adrenaline might well be the problem here. Adrenaline is great for a quick sprint but it's quickly going to nacker you up on a longer race. Controlled, deeper breathing will not only help you have enough oxygen (kind of helpful) but might reduce adrenaline levels thereby preventing the dry mouth / feeling knackered etc etc.
If you're going to take anything a low dose b-blocker would probably be the trick

coozer - 19/7/10 at 08:21 AM

Get a bike, watch the guys on Le Tour. The stamina these guys have is awesome... wish I had the determination

Fred W B - 19/7/10 at 08:30 AM

Get more seat time, and as above concentrate on breathing out. You body will always breath in.

Fred W B

matt.c - 19/7/10 at 08:28 PM

Many thanks for the replys.

I dont start very well with my breathing at the start of the race as my heart is banging away like mad!

I need to slow the heart rate down and breath. Trouble is like you have said, you tend to forget to breath while racing.

I think i just need to practice.