Board logo

MD80 mini cam
matt.c - 17/10/10 at 08:19 PM

Im buying one of these cams to use on my kart. It says it has a recording time of 2 hours on a full charge. What SD card will record for that lenth of time? Dont really need for it to store any longer than that time as i will download it after 2 hours ie one meeting.

1Gb card?
2Gb card?
4Gb card?
Etc Etc

Thanks everyone

Matt

austin man - 17/10/10 at 08:26 PM

4 gig they are very high quality, I dont believe you can get 2 hours from anything other than a 4 gig card they are micro sd as well not sd

loggyboy - 17/10/10 at 08:27 PM

It will depend on the quality. My digi cam does 1 hour on a 1 gb card at 640x480 resolution. I would expect a proper camera to be higher res, so you may as well go for a 4 or an 8, they arent expensive anymore.

austin man - 17/10/10 at 08:29 PM

these cams are near HD quality

Hellfire - 17/10/10 at 08:40 PM

It depends on the compatibility of the SD Card with your recorder - some recorders wont go over 2Gb so check in your handbook. Go for the largest you can - the preferable SD Cards are made by SANDISK. A little more expensive, but lost footage is priceless!

Also you would probably be advised to buy an SDHC as the transfer rates are quicker... I believe most are HC now but check - SDHC are NOT backwards compatible with SD.

SDHC CARD

There are a few types of HD - variations of 720 and 1080 - most are 720 which obviously takes less memory per unit/time than 1080.

Steve

Just checked Specs on this camera - its not SD its mini-sd so UPTO an 8Gb standard micro-SD is in order - BE CAREFUL AS MOST ARE micro SDHC now...

[Edited on 17-10-10 by Hellfire]

austin man - 17/10/10 at 08:58 PM

they will handle an 8 gig one mine does

TimEllershaw - 17/10/10 at 09:08 PM

I've got one of the cheep Chinese copies of the MD80, and it is happy with an 8Gb card.

File sizes do vary hugely. We have some 20 minute clips from trackdays that range between 0.8Gb and 1.8Gb.
( it may be different in a "real" MD80, but I doubt it )

We can usually fill up an 8Gb card before the battery runs out.

Tim.

MK9R - 17/10/10 at 09:42 PM

I have a £10 cheapy md (push on/off plastic casing) and the original £40 md (slide switch on/off aluminium casing), running side by side the cheaper one uses twice as much memory, 25 mins is about 2GB and 1GB respectively

RazMan - 17/10/10 at 10:01 PM

I bagged one of the cheap ones for £6.31 and I have to say that I am quite impressed. It takes a 16Gb card (which cost more than the camera) and gives me just under 2 hours of video. You can even set them for sound activation.

Humbug - 18/10/10 at 11:52 AM

I've got one of the cheapo Chinese ones and I'm pretty happy with the image quality, but when looking for a card, get the highest rating you can: mine is Class 4, which give blips from time to time when filming in-car. Class = data transfer rate i.e. equivalent to how fast it can record so for things with lots of movement it is better to get faster. I think there is Class 6 which is faster...