Board logo

Tiling a porch roof?
matt.c - 21/10/10 at 09:36 PM

Thinking of buying this....

But it doesnt come with tiles etc. How do you tile a roof? Sorry if it sounds a stupid question but i havent a clue.

Thanks locosters

Matt

Dangle_kt - 21/10/10 at 09:45 PM

I've only done it once, so somone will be along soon with a proper answer:

felt down
batons on
lead on
tiles on battons
top tiles

done.

[Edited on 21/10/10 by Dangle_kt]

fazerruss - 21/10/10 at 10:06 PM

first you need to know what tile you are gonna use and what head lap it needs according to the pitch angle.The head lap will determine the spacing between the batterns.if you intend to fit guttering the start the bottem tile with the edge roughley over the middle of the gutter so the rain will drop in and not run over. the fist bottem battern depending on tile choice will need to be doubled up or the 1st and 2nd row will not sit flat to the roof. The tile choice also determines whether the lead goes on top or underneath eg double roman and double pan needs it on top.onnce you start itll all become clear

[Edited on 21/10/10 by fazerruss]

Peteff - 21/10/10 at 11:04 PM

It's only an ornament, just buy some laths and pantiles and make it look pretty. Stick a ridge tile on top to finish it off.

BenB - 22/10/10 at 01:19 PM

Go in your loft and have a shoofty at how it's done. The only question is whether you use nibbed tiles which "hang" onto the batton or you use drilled tiles which you nail in place. For a porch I wouldn't bother with lead and felt. Just wack on some battons, bang on some tiles and stick some ridge tiles on top.

fazerruss - 22/10/10 at 02:27 PM

unless your house is very old the only thing you will see in the loft are rows of felt