Board logo

Black and decker mouse sander
matt.c - 23/10/10 at 08:36 PM

Im looking for a tool to sand down skirting boards. Have seen one of these....

mouse

Anyone else got one? Are they any good?

Had a play with a few of the other makes but the mouse seems to be much lighter to use.

What do you think?

Cheers

Matt

marcjagman - 23/10/10 at 08:48 PM

Mouse sanders are brilliant but will take a while to sand skirting down. Whats wrong with a normal flat bed orbital?

Liam - 23/10/10 at 09:37 PM

Probably fine for a light rub as long as you get plenty of sheets as they'll get clogged up pretty quick. Will be there a while if you want to get back to bare wood, I'd have thought.

fesycresy - 23/10/10 at 09:41 PM

you'll need an engineering degree to get the fcuker back in the case when you've finished with it

rgrs - 23/10/10 at 10:30 PM

You might want to consider a hot air stripper, sometimes is quicker to strip back to bare wood and start again to achieve a better finish. If you've got more than 2 layers of paint it comes off very easily and quickly.

Roger

slingshot2000 - 23/10/10 at 11:52 PM

I have one of the exact items you are asking about, you are welcome to the awful thing! As said above, it will tax an engineer's brain to get it back in its box, but much worse; I have never used a worse tool for Vibration White Finger !
It has not been used for more than ten minutes, max! I have tried it 2 r 3 times, but have never managed to hold onto it for more than 3 minutes maximum!

[Edited on 23/10/10 by slingshot2000]

balidey - 24/10/10 at 06:58 AM

I have a similar one (bit bigger model) and when I needed to do a lot of sanding I used a sanding sheet disc on an angry grinder to remove the worst then just a quick rub over with the mouse one to smooth the surface. The mouse was hopeless at removing paint / varnish on its own.
Also, cheap sanding sheets are nowhere near as good as proper branded ones.

scootz - 24/10/10 at 07:09 AM

Why would you want to sand a mouse? Surely it would be more humane to just lather it up and shave the little bugger!

JoelP - 24/10/10 at 11:42 AM

id have to say, not much good. Even my big one would take a while to do a large area of paint.

Fred W B - 24/10/10 at 12:10 PM

I've found it usefull on ocassion , but only in areas that are difficult/impossible to get to by hand or with any bigger tool.

For skirtings I'd use a standard 1/3rd sheet rectangular bed orbital.

And yes, the required sanding sheets are expensive. I cut new ones out of standard sheets and stick them to the worn velcro back ones with thin double sided tape

Cheers

Fred W B

rusty nuts - 24/10/10 at 01:01 PM

I got myself a cheap 5" D/A sander from Toolstation which is brilliant value for money, I only brought it for one job but have used it loads